Existing Member?

Gone Again It is a long drive from Colorado to Panama and back. Anything can happen.

Feliz Navidad

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 25 December 2007 | Views [1904]

Christmas Day, Leon

Christmas Day, Leon

We spent the past few days traveling border to border; Guatemala-El Salvador, El Salvador-Honduras, Honduras-Nicaragua.  We are getting pretty good at avoiding the "helpers" and avoiding the scams from the officials but it is draining and one crossing a day is all we can handle.

Holidays away from home have become a way of life.  We spent last Christmas on a kibbutz in Israel and in '04 it was a tent in Australia.  Here in Leon, Nicaragua it was business as usual for the locals.  The street markets were going great guns last night, fireworks were popping, church bells tolling and tall costumed characters danced to drums.  The homes we could peek into were brightly decorated with trees and nativity scenes but there was little evidence of Old St. Nick.  I guess the pinatas will have to do.  Nicaragua is a poor country still recovering from years of war and Christmas here isn't as commercial as in the US.  But then, what is????

Tags: Culture

About connieandjohn

A photo of us, Pirimide del Sol, Teotithuacan

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.