Existing Member?

European Adventure This is our diary and picture gallery of our trip around Europe. Stories about where we have been and what we have experienced. Enjoy

Germany (7) 12-16th Sep

GERMANY | Thursday, 4 October 2007 | Views [665]

Welcome back to Germany, was glad to be out of freezing cold Sweden, although northern Germany was not much warmer.   Was dark when we got off the Ferry so we couldn't see much.

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp - this is a former concentration camp, so there isn't really much to say.  A little depressing to walk around the grounds.

Berlin - stayed at a nice camping ground along a small river, surrounded by bush, wouldn't think that you're in the middle of a capital city.  Catching public transport into the city was a mission.  Had to walk about 750m to the bus stop, then catch a bus to the U-Bahn, catch that to the tram, had to swap to another tram to arrive in the centre of town. It was worth it though, we both really liked Berlin.  Did the toursity thing and looked at Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Holocaust Memorial, Fernsehturm (TV Tower) and walked past many old buildings.  The next day we went on a 'Biking Berlin Tour', did about 20km on a push bike around the city, with a guide explaining the history of the whole city.  Took around 5 hours.  Have to say that I had forgotten that the wall was actually around West Berlin.  Stopped at the Wall, Dokumentationszentrum, Check Point Charlie, Bebelplatz & more, and rode right through the centre of town again.  Was heaps of fun, great way to see the city, and our guide was hilarious.  By the time we caught all our transport back to the camping ground it was 10pm, so we were pretty tired and hungry.  Was worth it though.

But as good as Berlin was, we couldn't stay in one place too long - got the travelling bug.

Dresden: another great city.  Weren't very orgainsed about when we got here so I missed out on seeing my cousin.  Very slack of me!  Dresden has an awesome AltStadt (old city).  Lots of old Castles, Curches and an Opera building.  Really pretty main street with trees running through the centre.  Just really nicely set out, and imaculate.  We visited a huge Art Gallery (Galarie Alte Meister), some pretty cool old paintings.  Elman has to look at every single one and also read all the captions.  So I was a little bored after an hour, guess I'm not an art critic.  We also went next door to the Armoury (Ruestkammer).  This had old weapons and armoury from the 1700's onwards, like swords, guns and horse armour.  Was really sunny and warm.

That was it for Germany this time, headed towards the Czech Republic. 

Tags: Adventures

About connie_elman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.