Existing Member?

Meander with us

Get ready

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 25 September 2007 | Views [937] | Comments [7]

We don't leave Brisbane for Istanbul until tonight, but so much effort goes into the preparation for a trip that it has to rate at least a mention in my journal.  In fact, I estimate that each one day travelling takes 2 days preparation and 1 day afterwards sorting out the photos.

To plan or not to plan, that is the question;
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to spend an outrageous fortune,
Or to make up plans against a (potential) sea of troubles,
And by preparing, avoid the heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That travel is heir to; Ay, there's the rub.

Should holidays be planned out in fine detail or just be given a basic framework?  I like holidays to be laid back, so having to decide what time of day to drop a car off two weeks in advance is a bit too much fine detail for me.  Lets go with the flow, decide on the run, respond to the whim of the moment, take an opportunity to explore or to move on if we wish.

The disadvantage of this approach of course is that you just have to take what you can find when it comes to accomodation, and may miss out on connections or events.

When I work out what the holiday has cost, however, maybe it is actually a good idea financially to try to stretch out the experience.  Some of the planning can be quite enjoyable.  Had an online chat with the travel agent in central Turkey - turns out she hails from Toowoomba - turns out she went for a holiday and ended up staying for a year working there.

We're planning to drive down the west coast of Turkey. (Actually you can see our rough itinerary at http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103711771782004211713.0004353455a67572a6388&om=1&z=5

I've been warned.  Driving in Turkey is apparently a bit like Russian roulette with a bullet in each chamber.  Still, I've driven through Rome and it can't be much worse.  Can it?

What I'm mostly looking forward to is flying business class to Istanbul.  Perhaps I already mentioned to some of you that we are flying Business Class.  This is a new experience for me, so despite my egalitarian roots, forgive my repetition of "and by the way, did I mention that we are going Business Class?".  By way of moral justification, we are getting them on frequent flyer points.

Planning a trip requires trying to live the experience before you go.  Our current dilemma is how to catch the 9am ferry from Marmaris to Rhodes when the car hire place doesn't open until 9am, so we can't drop off the car.  Trouble is, I don't know much about Marmaris.  Is it the sort of place I would like to spend a day.  How will we feel about it when we get there?  If we don't book the ferry, will we get there to find it fully booked?  How do you balance the free spirit against the spirit left hanging around waiting for a free seat to become available on the ferry.

But there are two sides to every story.  You will have to follow our blog to see how the dilemma unfolds for us.

Back to the planning.

Colin

PS Finished this off in the QANTAS Club lounge at Brisbane airport. Departing in 1 hour.  Thanks for the well wishers - and no - we didn't forget anything this time (that I know of yet anyway).

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

Comments

1

I just love reading about all your trips!! Enjoy your upgrade to business class, take all the advantage of it!!

Thanks for the present!!! It's so lovely. I'm really looking forward to your explanation ;-)

see yous (still a weird word thou) soon!!!
Elke

  Elke Sep 25, 2007 11:41 PM

2

Hi Colin - Just wanted to be the first to leave a message! We are looking forward to another virtual vicarious vacation. Regarding your question about the philosophy of travel, is it possible that you are able to enjoy unplanned spontaneity because Sue has all the important details under control?

  Jan Sep 25, 2007 11:42 PM

3

Hey Elke - looks like you just beat me. I will have to be content with being the first Aussie to leave a comment. Best wishes for the wedding - we will look forward to seeing some photos.

  Jan Sep 26, 2007 6:48 AM

4

And I'll be the first 175cm tall, 50+, Aussie, four-eyed, protestant, Honda driving, shiraz loving, engineering audiophile MALE to comment!

Best wishes for the trip Colin. I hope you don't spend too much of it writing the blog (i.e. seated at a keyboard - just like every other day of the year).

  Neil Sep 26, 2007 7:30 AM

5

Do I get to be the first social worker to make a comment?
I was just feeling a bit desperate for a break from work, maybe a holiday, maybe an overseas, flying business class holiday, when I got your email and blog link - maybe I'll have a vicarious holiday when I arrive at my desk at work each morning.
Thanks Colin, we appreciate all the work you put into your travel diaries (its not easy to find the time) Thanks for bringing us along with you. It eases the jealousy just a little!
love to you both

  Valerie Sep 26, 2007 8:33 AM

6

And I thought it was only a clergyman who could enjoy a vicarious holiday.

  Stuart Beavis Sep 26, 2007 12:54 PM

7

Colin, Did we tell you the time when Bruce was ungraded to first class from Joberg to Singapore on Singapore Airlines?????? Did we?? Did we??? It's probably like business class, but we really don't know!
We look forward to following your progress with interest. When I have more time I will update you on the Cape York Adventure and how many parts of cars were replaced!!!!! not to mention broken axles on camper trailers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  BRUCE & LYN Sep 26, 2007 8:57 PM

About col_n_sue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.