Existing Member?

Solo Claire

Antarctica - Drake Passage 28-30th December

ANTARCTICA | Sunday, 28 December 2008 | Views [620] | Comments [1]

Our astonishing run of good luck held as we re-crossed a relatively calm Drake Passage. It always seemed to become roughest at mealtimes. We became experts at judging the swell so that we could catch our glasses. I don’t know how the waitress served us in a tight skirt and heels though. These days were spent attending lectures, birdwatching, catching up on some much needed sleep, chatting and reliving our experiences and looking back at photos marvelling at the sights we had been fortunate to see. As we had been kept extremely busy during our time on the Antarctic Peninsula, it was only now that we had time to reflect. The staff presented us with a typed account of our expedition complete with photos, a map of our exact route with the landings outlined as well as an individualised certificate detailing the exact location where we had made our first continental landing. We sailed as close as we could to the notorious Cape Horn while still remaining in international waters. Unfortunately, the visibility was nowhere near the requisite 12 miles. However, we did get to see some great swell (as usual just at dinnertime) as the islands south of Tierra del Fuego came into view.

We had breakfast and said our reluctant farewells. The trip was made even more special because of the fantastic company and because of the ever-cheerful, helpful, friendly, knowledgeable staff. We disembarked in rainy Ushuaia and it took nearly a full day for me to regain my land legs. Strange as it may seem, I felt more seasick on land than I had on the ship. I cannot stress how awe-inspiring this trip was. Despite my high expectations, this trip surpassed each and every one. The landscape, the wildlife, the service and the people combined to ensure an unforgettable experience which will be seared in my mind forever.

Comments

1

Thoroughly enjoyed your gushing account! Written with an elusive passion which I imagine could only have been envoked by a breathtaking experience. Prior to reading your report, Antartica held little interest for me but I find myself compelled to visit now...I can give you no higher praise than that!

  Ciaran Jennings Jan 4, 2009 12:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.