Existing Member?

Solo Claire

El Chaltén

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 9 December 2008 | Views [674]

Proof I actually did this hike!

Proof I actually did this hike!

Met up with a Canadian couple in their 60s in the hostel and an American girl Nicole. There were also a pile of Germans. I must say I think that I have seen every possible combination of khaki and army green at this stage. We were talking about what there is to do and they all were going on a specific hike the next day. It is to a point where you get a good view of Fitzroy mountain and a lake beside it. It looked interesting but long. Over 20k there and back, not accounting for the extra elevation. According to the info here it takes about 5 hours each way. I set off with Nicole at about 8am. The first bit was tough as it was very vertical but it was nothing to the last part. We passed the last campsite before reaching the lake and there was a sign warning that the last 500m is very difficult. I thought that it meant we had only 500m to go but unfortunately no. There are rocks used as slabs to make steps but it is still hard going, especially as there is scree between each step. We finally reached the top only to realise that we hadn´t even started on the difficult bit yet. There was a dip and a concealed hill behind it with no steps. Luckily the views were worth the effort! It was gorgeous up there and we spent about 2 hours taking photos and lunching. It was amazing, every time that you look up, you are astounded by the scenery again. Reluctantly we left about 2.30 and made our way back. Downhill wasn´t that much easier than uphill because you have to concentrate so hard on where to place your feet. As we were heading down there were still lots of people going up. Felt sorry for them as they wouldn´t get to spend long there before turning around again! Today my feet and legs are hurting so I decided to rest. Margaret (62) and Jim (64) have done three hikes in the last 3 days! They came to Patagonia cos they saw pictures that their daughter had taken when she was here a few years ago. Enjoyed my first hike so am now thinking of going to Torres del Paine to do the famous W hike there.

Tags: trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.