Existing Member?

Where's the bear? South India, Sri-Lanka, Thailand, Veitnam, Cambodia, Laos, Austraila....

Kampot and Pnom pen

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [875]

Kampot was wonderful, it was a small town in the countryside, the people were lovely, we stayed in a wonderful old villa run by an australian couple who were really nice. We went into the town, got massages from some blind people, which was incredible! The rain was non stop though, erveryday it poured, I mean POURED with rain, but it was quite nice, we spent one day just watching films in the "movie room." One day we asked a Tuk Tuk driver to take us ANYWHERE and he took us to some little villages where we sat with Kahmear people, laughed ate fruit and couldn't understand one word of what they were saying, the woman kept prodding us and touching our skin and laughing, so we prodded them and touched thier skin and laughed back at them and it was all hilarious! We then headed to Kep for the day where we saw some amazing caves, little kids took us around with torches, they were very sweet but then didn't let us go until we gave them money!

No we are in Pnom Pen, the capital of Cambodia, it's very crazy. Yesterday we went to a small school to help teach English, the class ranged from ages 4 to 15! The kids were so sweet. Later on we were taken to the slums which was unbelieveable, rubbish everywhere, it was dirty, smelly, rats, maggots, poo, I thought I was going to be sick. About 10 people sleep in one tiny dirty rotting wooden room, and they just go on and on. Some of the kids we met were sent out onto the streets every night by thier family to work, in brothels, or selling things, it's all very sad. So today we bought lots and LOTS of milk to go and give to the young girls who have babies in the slums.

Today we went to "s21" Which was the prison from 1975 to 1979 of the Kahmear Rouge. It was quite upsetting, we then went to the killing fields which was also very horrible, we finished the day by going to the royal palace, which was stunning. 

So far Cambodia has been a bit wierd, it's such a corrupt counrty, none of it seems to make much sense. The people are lovely though, bearing in mind thier past.

We're now off to watch the football match.

:)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  

About claire-winder


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.