Existing Member?

WWOOF

New Year

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Tuesday, 17 January 2012 | Views [273]

I decided I wasn't going to hang around the farm for the New year's weekend, and took the bus to Hilo. 5:30 a.m., I am standing on the highway, flagging the bus down with a flashlight. The bus goes around the north half of the island and takes over 4 hours! I got to see some scenery I haven't seen before. Makes me wish I had a car so I could stop and visit different places. Arrrive in Hilo after 11:00 a.m. Dennis picks me up, I take him out to lunch and we hit the road for Sea View, where Dennis is participating in a circus school during the school holiday break. Drop him off, go to the B&B, Sue says take the car into town and get what you need. For crying out loud! There is only one road that goes through town from the highway and then back to the highway, and a little side road that goes back to the highway. I do not want to tell you how many times I lost my bearings and was going the wrong way! Dang! Get back to the house and visit with Sue. We take the scenic route (oceanside) route to Sea View and arrive just in time to take our seats and watch theh circus put on by the students. I was very weepy. Those kids really put on a show! They did magic tricks, juggling, rode unicycles, tumbling, and did tricks on the silks. Two long silk strands humg from the ceiling and they do different poses hanging from them. it was great! Dennis had some students thqt did little clown skits between the 'acts.' Very cute! Made a quick stop at Uncle Robert's for a cup of kava. My hero, Puna was playing Uke and singing. Dennis was worn out and we had t oleave.

Next day went shopping with Dennis for party food. he had invited people over for a New Year's Eve open house. Made lots of food. The sisters came (the family we spent Thanksgiving with) and the party started! We laughed and ate and drank and had a good time! Dennis and Sue didn't make it till midnight. I had to clean up all the food and help the sisters downstairs - one has to use a wheelchair. It was all good.

The next day we were all pretty tired, but ran into Hilo to have lunch with Bonnie. As I was standing outside the retaurant, a man walks by, looks me up and down and asks me 'Are you married?' No, I say. Wanna go do something? he asks. No, thanks, I am having lunch with friends. We chat a little and I go in to join my friends. I should hang out here more often! Had to get the room ready at the B&B for a couple that was coming in from Holland!

Monday I worked all day on Dennis' tea garden, until it started raining sometime after 5. Wow! That was hard work! But I am glad to help him out with projects.

Tuesday time to head into Hilo to catch the bus back. Went for lunch and caught the bus in the rain. The bus is packed. A VERY handsome young man sits next to me. OMG! Sun-bleaches hair cut just below the ears, tall, nice build, and SWEET! He was returning to Seattle. He had shipped his truck over and was looking for construction work. He had put 2,000 miles on his truck and no luck, so he was going back home. Pretty sad. he was so sweet - his mama should be proud of him. other seats opened up, but he continued to sit and talk with me. The bus dropped me off at Bebo's driveway. Such service for a buck! it was a very nice weekend, and I really appreciated the break from the farm.

Wishing each of you a prosperous and happy new year (with some adventures thrown in!)

About clafave8


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.