Existing Member?

WWOOF

Picking Cherries

USA | Friday, 2 December 2011 | Views [441]

Well, todayI picked my first coffee cherries. When you get good fruit, it is bright red and looks just like cherries. Phil and I were done with spraying around 11:00, had lunch and he took me to teach me how to pick cherry. We finished at 4:15 and betweene the two of us, we picked 100 pounds! We get paid $50. We webt in together on the bags, and we are going to spend it on Sunday fun. I want a meal, Phil wants a motel. Ha! Just kidding. Picking cherry was great fun! We laughed and swapped stories. I had said that I was coming to hawaii to heal and to find my laugh again - I am finding the laughter many times over. Working with a crew of guys - the language is, how should I term this? Well, I am learning new words and phrases, educational, I guess you could say. I think I got some sunburn and more mosquito bites from picking cherries. I am thinking of contacting Guinness Book of World Records to see if there is a category for most mosquito bites. It takes forever for them to go away. The folk here swear by Safeguard soap. Doesn't work for me. I so need to get into town to Walmart and get some bug spray. No one is going to take us in. I have looked at the bus schedule, but haven't figured out when to go - it is a long, slow trip with limited hours of operation, and, no one seems to know where it stops. Maybe Phil would just hitch hike with me... Well, I am saving money by not having any opportunity to spend it.  As Bebo says, we keep it simple here. Bebo has asked Phil if I am doing my share of the work. Phil told him that yesterday, when we did five pick-up loads of lava rock to build a wall, I hauled rock and did my fair share. He said he told Bebo I am very strong. Hah! I was tired today. Strangely, I had no aches and pains from lifting and carrying tons of rock. yay me!

Maybe the tired is from having noisy neighbors who stay up late drinking and then this morning I had to say ,"Hey! Could you have this conversation another time? It is 4:00 a.m."  There is a wall between us, but it is only barn board slats. I had to ask for a sheet to hang on the wall because I could see into their place and then they could see into mine.  So, basically, only a sheet separates us. I hear everything they say and do. It is a good thing that I do not understand what they are saying. They are from Micronesia and they speak Bumbe (bumbay), which is also the capital of Micronesia. I gotta google that. Anyways, life is good here, but it has its challenges, too. I am very happy to be here.

oh, yeah, I am working on the laughter thing, and I need to work on the healing thing. Finding the time is difficult. I need time alone, peace and quiet. I will work on that. Soon, real soon...

About clafave8


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.