Existing Member?

Last call to lands I've never been to...

Lost in a dream

LAOS | Friday, 16 January 2009 | Views [840] | Comments [8]

In the past few days it's been so crazy! After leaving Bangkok we took a short bus ride to Nongkhai and it was amazing! So peaceful and vegetarian places everywhere.  There's a hotel called the Mutmee where we hung out in the most surreal atmosphere looking out into the Meekong river.  Many shopping areas, although its a pretty small town.  Afterwards, we flew to Udon Thani and took a bus to Ventienne.  I experienced the biggest culture shock ever and took quite a bit of getting used to.  Now, i feel like im at home and have never felt more calm and complete.  There's too many little details to express and i dont feel like words would be sufficient to even begin to explain how gorgeous this place is.  Hope everything is well back in the states! I leave for Vang vieng tomorrow. :) P.S.--dont really have an itenerary--just kind of being spur of the moment--i honestly dont even know what day it is or sometimes even the time and it makes me soooo relaxed.  i feel like im on a vacation from reality. Oo--and yes, i tried the mango sticky rice and am obsessed!

Comments

1

Wonderful to hear from you! I'm sending many blessings for your continuance. Thank you for the smile and a few tears for your happiness. Love you, Mooma

  Mooma Jan 17, 2009 12:27 AM

2

Here's some links for the places Christine's been:

Nongkhai, Thailand:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Nong_Khai
(Note. This web page includes a description of the Mut Mee Guest House where Christine stayed.)

Udon Thani, Thailand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani
http://wikitravel.org/en/Udon_Thani

Vientiane, Laos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vientiane
http://wikitravel.org/en/Vientiane

Vang Vieng, Laos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vang_Vieng
http://wikitravel.org/en/Vang_Viang

  Uncle Frank Jan 17, 2009 7:15 AM

3

Oops. The links weren't embedded into my comments. Trying again. Not sure sure if this will work, if it doesn't then just cut and paste them into another tab on your browser. Maybe someone reading this comment will figure out how to hyperlink these pages the right way.

Sorry, Christine, for clogging up your comments section with this repeat.
------------------------------
Here's some links for the places Christine's been:

Nongkhai, Thailand:
www.wikitravel.org/en/Nong_Khai
(Note. This web page includes a description of the Mut Mee Guest House where Christine stayed.)

Udon Thani, Thailand:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani
www.wikitravel.org/en/Udon_Thani

Vientiane, Laos:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vientiane
www.wikitravel.org/en/Vientiane

Vang Vieng, Laos:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vang_Vieng
www.wikitravel.org/en/Vang_Viang

  Uncle Frank Jan 17, 2009 7:21 AM

4

Was SOOO excited to read your entry tonight, Christine, and thanks to Uncle Frank's wikitravel web addresses, we can literally see some of the sites you might be seeing. The MeeKong river scenes and even views of mountains rising above the river.... must be absolutely glorious! Love and continued prayers thinking of you many times a day :)

  Aunt Cherrie Jan 17, 2009 1:31 PM

5

Christine sounds very exciting to me. Spontanious is great. Sights look great. Take care Thinking of you.

  ann grandau Jan 18, 2009 1:59 AM

6

We're glad to hear you're having such an incredible time! Can't wait to hear about Vang Vieng. Are you gonna go into any caves there? Have you been seeing monkeys? What are the sounds and smells like? Oh my gosh! Have fun! Lots of love to you!

  Aunt Laura and Uncle William Jan 19, 2009 5:32 AM

7

Wow, the luxery of just following your whim each day. How I envy you. Enjoy it. It sounds wonderful. I understand how hard it is to capture all the sights, sounds and flavors of a place.

  Aunt Charyn Jan 20, 2009 8:32 AM

8

"I experienced the biggest culture shock ever and took quite a bit of getting used to." What was the trigger?

Sounds like your dealing with it. Just relax and accept lots of ways to do things. It's amazing how there really is no one right answer to most things.

Watch out for the thieving monkeys.. lol. Wonder if Sarina remembers the monkey and dog stomp to make them go away. Be careful crossing the street. Look both ways. :)

  Uncle Mark Jan 23, 2009 3:32 AM

About cl_mcdaniel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.