Existing Member?

Last call to lands I've never been to...

Greetings from the big mango!!

THAILAND | Friday, 9 January 2009 | Views [843] | Comments [12]

After a 22 hour plane ride, we finally arrived exhausted and excited in Bangkok.  The weather here is perfect and the food is delicious!! We're staying in a super cheap hotel--only like 6 bucks a night and it's simple but clean and overlooks beautiful temples. The sunrise this morning overlooking everything was beautiful!  The area we're hanging out in resembles a hippie scene filled with art, street stalls, and other backpackers--alot of people are really laid back and lounge around for most of the day.  Most of the cafes are mostly outside blasting early 2000 music. lol. i was told music comes here to die. >_< I've been shopping around a bit and came upon a sign that read "crafts by the deaf" and it was really exciting to communicate with the deaf Thai girl who painted scenic pictures of Thailand. I'm thinking about purchasing one.  It really makes me appreciate ASL even more because although it's a different in each country, gesturing can go a long way! Anyways, I will be staying in Bangkok for the rest of the week (hopefully taking a Thai cooking class soon) and taking a bus to Laos where we will be stopping in random towns along the ride.

Comments

1

Great to here from you. That is a long plane ride. I get antsy after 3hrs on a plane. You are missing the snow in Chicago. Up to 8 inches today. I will read your messages to Gram Dorothy.
Uncle Patrick

  Uncle Patrick Jan 10, 2009 2:20 AM

2

Great to here from you. That is a long plane ride. I get antsy after 3hrs on a plane. You are missing the snow in Chicago. Up to 8 inches today. I will read your messages to Gram Dorothy.
Uncle Patrick

  Uncle Patrick Jan 10, 2009 2:28 AM

3

That sounds amazing! I can never pass up a good sunrise and that usually sets my mood for the rest of my experience. I cant wait to read more about it, I'm so happy everything's good and well in your new world. Peace and love my friend!!!!

  Kimbo Jan 10, 2009 10:07 AM

4

Wonderful! Enjoy! All is well at this longitude...Keenan says "Meow"!
Namaste

  Mooma Jan 12, 2009 4:39 AM

5

Sounds like a great start - a week in Bangkok, with beautiful weather! Will you be able to post any pics?
Love and good thoughts for you from all of us. Looking forward to your next update!

  Aunt Mary Jan 12, 2009 5:07 AM

6

Wow, love the street scenes. I adored Nepal for all the people and chaos in the streets. I hope you tried the sticky rice and mango. The food is so fresh in bangkok. I'm so jealous. We only got to see the airport! Love to you

  Auntie Charyn Jan 12, 2009 5:25 AM

7

Glad you are safe and sound. Enjoy your trip and remember I'm thinking of you. Grandma Ann

  ann grandau Jan 12, 2009 6:37 AM

8

We're so glad to read your post - so glad you're doing well. We're thinking of you every day!
And now we're hoping you can cook us a little Thai food when you're back... he he! Just kidding!
Enjoy yourself! Love ya tons!!

  Aunt Laura and Uncle William Jan 12, 2009 3:29 PM

9

$6 a nite! That's funny how you mentioned that nearly first (right after a comment about the food ... lol!)

It would be great if you're able to post your itinerary; particularly if there are post office drops or places where we can send you things occasionally.

Have fun. Stay safe. And be sure to stick with the street vendors for food (though be careful about eating anything that's cooked on a stick ... lol). If you run across anyone selling iced coffee in a zip locked baggie with a straw, go for it! Very very refreshing on a hot afternoon.

  Uncle Frank Jan 13, 2009 3:00 AM

10

So cool. Get into the culture. Just take it it as it comes.

If you post stuff up to one of the picture sites like picas, you can have your mom or someone download the pics local. So fill up those memory sticks. I wish I could have captured more pics and somehow captured the sounds and smells. It's amazing how half a world away people have so much truly in common.

  Uncle Mark Jan 13, 2009 3:26 AM

11

How awesome! I've been thinking of you, hoping that everything went smoothly and safely. Keep writing. And please take pictures!

Take care! and be safe!

  Eilene Jan 13, 2009 10:20 AM

12

Waa-Hoooo! Bangkok! Hard to imagine you are really there, Christine! Love and prayers...

  Aunt Cherrie Jan 14, 2009 2:23 PM

About cl_mcdaniel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.