Existing Member?

Dine, Dance, and Discover “I’m here to chew bubblegum and kick some ass. And I’m all out of bubblegum.”- Roddy Piper, THEY LIVE

What happened to 2008?

USA | Saturday, 10 January 2009 | Views [550]

A number of things. 

2008 was the Year of China.  Well, this is what most of the Chinese I spoke to expressed (pre-August) when envisioning the grand success of the Olympic Games.  In a post-Games analysis, I'm not sure how much effect the two weeks of competition had on international opinions of the Middle Kingdom.  The Games came and past, and there seems to have been very little analysis of China as a modern superpower and how this has changed the lives of its citizens and the world.  Perhaps it was because almost everyone KNEW that this was not the real China.  That this was a spectacle put on in the ancient capital city, that it was a show meant to impress and bedazzle and, while given "unprecedented reporter access," issues like Tibet, Tiananmen, and Muslim seperatists were not going to be dealt with.  Nor were modern working conditions going to be debated and discussed.  But most of all, few people talked about what it was like to be a Chinese citizen in 21st Century China. 

I have to say, I did a poor job of writing on this blog during my time in Beijing (and the subsequent travels and explorations).  Many of my experiences were shared with fellow teacher and writer, Lea, who kept an awesome journal at:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/avant-garde_chauvintist

As for my own writings, I kept my own "physical" journal, as I usually do, and made a few short videos, took tons of photos, but for long stretches of traveling, I kept myself out-of-reach technologically.  I wanted to devote my time to the natural surroundings, playiing mahjong with new friends, camping on the great wall, and staying away from cyber-cafes. 

But now, I am back here, and while I don't promise consistent postings, I will post when I want to discuss some ideas that are plaguing my brain (currently, the issue of eco-tourism, which I might address in my next post).

Lots of things happened to me in 2008, especially after I left Beijing.  I landed in Los Angeles for a few weeks, made a sudden and decisive move to Chicago, where I have resided and worked up until this winter.  In the past few weeks, I have been to Phoenix (to see Mom and brother), Los Angeles (for New Years fun with friends), and Las Vegas (see the father).  Now, I am back in LA, in a sort of holding pattern, counting down the days until I am on a plane, bound for Costa Rica.

I have much to say about China, and most of it is written down, but I would need to transcribe those texts from my browned journal pages, and that's not something I'm feeling like doing lately.

I have lots of projects in the works, and its an exciting time for me.

There's not many of you now, but stay tuned...

Tags: china, olympics

 

About cinepunk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.