Existing Member?

Around the World in Two Years A day in the life of a backpack.

The Road is Long,The Long Long Road, With Many Winding Turns...

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 6 February 2007 | Views [272]

The Road is Long,The Long Long Road, With Many Winding Turns...

Once back in Pakse we boarded another bus heading up to Sivanakhet for another 5 hours. Eventually, we arrived intending on catching a bus straight to Hanoi, when we realized our money situation was dire. In fact, we were in trouble. Since there are no ATMs in Laos we had to get all our cash before we got there, and by the end were left with $18..... $2 short of the price for bus tickets. It was after 6pm so the banks were closed. Then we found out that because the next day was was Sunday, the bus didn't run at all. We were desperate to get to Vietnam that night as our visas were already activated 3 days earlier and we were left with only a mere 3 1/2 weeks. We put our pennies together and just managed to afford an overnight bus that landed us in Dong Ha, a little town just across the boarder. We were naive to the popularity of this particular bus, so after Ian, by chance, started chatting to some random man who just happened to own the whole bus station, we could not have been more grateful when he sought us out and personally ushered us in front of the large, angry crowd of locals waiting at the bus doors, and onto the bus. We had heard horror stories about the overnight bus across the Laos/ Vietnam boarder and our experience only confirmed the rumours. The seats were so close together that it seemed like a cruel joke, as it was not humanly possible to sit facing forward. On top of that, we had great big bags of rice at our feet, stacked halfway up the seat in front of us. The isles were packed to the brim as well, with people sitting on top of everything. Claustrophobic is not the word. As soon as the bus started, over half the passengers lit up a cigarette and since the windows only opened a couple inches, within minutes we were struggling to breath. Hour after torturous hour, we endured the ride. I would have given anything to be back on the chicken bus. At 2am we arrived at some random restaurant. Since the only instructions given were in Laos, everyone but us got off, while we stayed thinking it was a 10 min toilet break.

5 hours later, after being bombarded with people demanding money for different things and having to hand over our passports, the bus finally started and we finished the last 10 min ride to the boarder, only to endure more gruelling hours of forms to fill out, questions to answer, line-ups, and waiting, waiting, waiting. Midday and 30 hours without sleep, our bus arrived.....and then left Dong Ha. The bus driver had apparently forgotten that this is where we were to be dropped off and suddenly remembered when we were already 4km out of town. We were dropped off on the side of the highway and left to make the 4km trek back into town. Another Canadian guy and English girl got off with us (we were the only 4 Westerners on the bus to decided to stick together) and we were glad for the company since we immediately felt like we were surrounded by vultures. Instantly, men on motorbikes rode up, trying to get us to pay them to take us to town. For 4 km they followed along side us calling out, while locals laughed nastily, yelling out comments in Vietnamese. We were certainly not in Laos anymore. Desperate for money, Ian and I went on a hunt for an ATM that would accept our cards. None did. Defeated, tired, and miserable, we had no idea what we were going to do. Then a miracle happened. Ros, the English girl offered to lend us money to buy our tickets to Hanoi. Hallelujah! That evening we boarded our last bus for the overnight journey north to Hanoi. This had officially been the longest 48 hours of our lives!

Tags: Misadventures

About cindyhowes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.