Existing Member?

Land of the Long White Cloud

Abel Tasman NP Eco Tour!!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 29 February 2016 | Views [298] | Comments [1]

We went on an eco boat tour around the Tasman Bay.  It was AWESOME and the highlight of our trip so far.  He tide was out at the launch at Motahua but that doesn’t slow the water taxis and tour boats.  They just hook up their boat to a tractor and the tractor hauls the boat out to where the water is deep enough to launch!  We loaded into the boat with 10 other Americans, 1 Brit and the captain who is a transplanted Scot that now calls New Zealand home.  He has a marine biology degree and drove the water taxis for several years before launching his own business.  He was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna and the history of the Abel Tasman National Park.

We saw 5 different kinds of shags which are cormorant like birds.  Plus, we shagged a King Shag which evidently is very rare (only 600 left in the world) and Stew (the captain) was very excited about spotting this one.  We also saw seals, one blue penguin (smallest penguin in New Zealand), sting ray, ducks and lots of other birds.  We had morning tea and coffee at a lovely beach, went on a nature walk, had lunch on another lovely beach.  Tough day!

Stew was also very much involved in the conservation movement in New Zealand which is quite a daunting task.  NZ’s only natural mammal was 2 types of bats.  Everything else has been introduced and has created some ecological consequence.  When the Scots and Brits first came to this county, the foliage was so lush there wasn’t any way to graze their sheep.  So, they burned the areas and lots of native plants and trees were lost.  Then they brought in rabbits for fur and meat.  Well, we all know what happens with rabbits.  They introduced the stoat (weasel) which not only took care of rabbits but went after the land nesting birds including the Kiwi which is endangered here.  Rats and mice came on the ships, goats and pigs were introduced by the early explorers and a pair of red deer were brought as gifts. The stoat is a prolific reproducer has no natural predators and is a real menace.  To make a 150 year old story short, as the animals were introduced they competed for the same food as the local birds and the bird population suffered. 

The conservation movement is all about bringing back the birds, the native trees, getting rid of rats, stoats and controlling the red deer.  Volunteers will go onto the islands and trap, bait and eliminate them from the eco cycle.  They are making great strides in improving habitat and have some great success stories.

We got back to shore about 3:30, grabbed a bite to eat and then headed for Picton.  It was another windy, scenic road through introduced pine forests followed by clear cut areas.  They do not hide their clear cuts like they try and do in WA.  They are right there in all their glory!  The lumber industry is important here and exports go to Korea, Japan, China, etc .  We were tired by the time we arrived in Picton! 

We have enjoyed our time on the South Island.  Hard to believe it has already been 2 weeks.  Tomorrow we take a 3 hr ferry ride to Wellington and head out on our North Island adventure!

Comments

1

Clearly a great way to end your tour of the south island....all the Pacific Islands seem to suffer from the introduction of species. Did the imported pigs go wild...not an animal you wanted to get up close and personal with, I'd guess.

  Marcia Mar 7, 2016 10:38 AM

About cindya


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.