Existing Member?

Powered Up! for the World

South Korea, unforgettable

SOUTH KOREA | Wednesday, 22 December 2010 | Views [734]

It was my first backpacking trip abroad by myself... I was a bit apprehensive about going alone, to a country where the people still speak only in Korean. but I told myself it would be awesome and I shouldn't have to worry since I know adequate Korean. so I packed my bags weeks before my departure date (in case I forgot something) and boarded the AirAsiaX flight to Seoul Incheon airport on the afternoon of Dec 6, 2010.

 

I arrived in Seoul around 930pm. it had been an okay flight... the night view from the plane window showed a huge metropolis. I felt a bit excited then. Here I am, in a place where I knew no one (except for my ex-Korean teacher). I have with me, a small check-in luggage that weighed 10kg and a slingbag that housed my important belongings. I'm quite proud of myself for packing so little for a trip in winter. I would also later regret for not bringing a bigger luggage and save me the trouble of trying to fit everything in.

I was struck by the chilly weather once stepping outside the airport terminal. I had to board an airport bus to my hostel - #6002 to Sinseol-dong stop. it was a long wait, or at least it felt that way in the cold. when i finally got myself to Backpackers Korea, it was close to midnight. Sam was there waiting for me :)

BK was located on the 3rd floor above Ediya Coffee. Sam showed me the way the doors r locked and opened. checked me in... I met my two roommates from Taiwan, Guan and Xuan. sisters who've been in town for the past 3 or 4 days. Xuan left the coming Sunday morning because she'd used up all her money meant for a month in a week. haha..

Tues Dec 7: my first day in Seoul, i set out to explore the surroundings. temperature was ok. i took a stroll along Dongdaemun fashion disctrict and the Cheonggyecheon stream, din't really have a specific location in mind. I found most of the time, I was just walking around aimlessly... letting fate take me wherever. Had my first proper meal at the food court on top of Migliore tower at Dongdaemun. Galbitang... it was cheap, 5000 won, but too salty. nevertheless, the ahjumma was very welcoming :) people in Seoul are generally nice n polite. I've heard they can be pushy and rough but I've not encountered any such incidents. apart from the spits on the ground that I constantly have to watch out for, Seoul is a clean city.

I visited Chandeok-gung. I missed out on the secret garden, located inside the palace grounds, as the gates closed at 4pm during winter. the structures are reminiscent of those that I've seen in China. I dropped my one-month old LX5 on the pebbly ground here... an unwelcomed memento ~_~

As I planned to venture to Mount Sorak on Wednesday, I decided to sleep early on Tues night. My roommates thought I always sleep at 10pm. hahah.. I forgot to reset the time on my handphone so my alarm sounded an hour late that I'd planned. still, I had to drag myself out of bed to get myself to the Seoul Express Bus Terminal. Sam had given me directions on how to get to Sokcho via the East Seoul Bus Terminal but stupid me left the map in the hostel >.< I do a lot of mindless things like these...

The coach took close to 3 hours to get to Sokcho and I had to take another local bus to the National Park. I arrived there close to noon and decided to just take the cable car to one of the peaks. It was snowing~ my first time seeing it snow. I wasn't overly excited or anything, just trying to take the view in... The mountain was capped in snow... it was quite pretty.

There were hiking trails to other peaks but I didn't have the time to attempt those. I took a 340pm coach back to Seoul. it was horrible... snowing heavily outside while I felt feverish in the bus. I had to find my way to the subway station and then try to figure out the right train to board. it was terrible... I was feeling groggy and wanted nothing but to wrap myself with the futon and sleep. I finally got back to BK around 730pm. popped an aspirin and slept without showering... once again, my roommates think I'm an old lady who needs 10 hours of sleep a day when they returned n found me already asleep on my bunk bed.

Fortunately, I woke up the next day, feeling much better. I decided to take the Seoul City Tour bus. firstly, I need to get myself to Ambassador Hotel to board it... that took quite some time walking (in the wrong direction as usual). Seoul is so big that it never felt crowded... during my bouts of aimless walking, I hardly see any foreigners or travellers. I wasn't in any hurry so I don't ask for directions unless I'm really desperate... we'll get to that later on. anyway, I enquired with a hotel staff who showed me where the bus stop is. the bus stops at specific times so we could track the time and plan our stops. 10,000 won for a day pass.


First stop, Namsan Tower. it was a perfect day to see the view of Seoul. the walk up to the tower was steep, lucky i climbed the stairs often. the love locks are covered with snow from the day before. the sky was blue and it made for beautiful, breathtaking scenery.

with Haechi, the mascot of Seoul :)

then it was back on the bus, stopped over at Insadong, Gyeongbok-gung, Gwanghwamun and lastly Myeongdong. I bought some souvenirs at Insadong and was dragged into a Tony Moly shop where I happily bought some products from a Chinese salesgirl :) she was surprised I was travelling by myself and wished me a pleasant trip ahead. At Gyeongbok Palace, I took a quick stroll around the huge grounds because it was getting late and I din't wanna miss the last tour bus. it was close to sunset when I got to Gwanghwamun. I located Kyobo Bookstore there and bought some CDs.

Myeongdong is where my roommies spend most of their time and money at. filled with shops that cater to the youth... I found most of them to be of the same brands. One thing I regretted was not trying the street food there. On top of SPAO, there was a shop that sold SM artistes' merchandise. fascinating but after DBSK disbanded... I lost my interest with SM ent.

I had dinner at a restaurant wedged in between SPAO and Uniqlo. I'd read about it from a blog online. ordered samgyetang... pricey (food in restaurants are generally expensive) but very delicious! I wish I had someone to share the food with me... ahh... gripe of the lonesome traveller.

That night, i amazed my roomies when they returned to BK and found me awake in the common area! we were having a drinking party with the other hostel guests. it started out humble but soon more and more ppl joined in. my roomies offered to get more beer and soju. it lasted late into the night, with all of us drunk.

the next morning, after sleeping in most of the morning, I decided to visit the 63 building at Yeouido. alighting at Yeouinaru station, I walked out towards one of the parks along the Han River. it was an overcast day... the day I decided to just wear my jeggings without an inner layer. stupid mistake~ when the wind blew, I cursed under my breath. I sat on a bench and sipped on cherry coke and ate some of my kimbap from breakfast. but after a while, the cold was too much and I made my way towards 63 building.

it took at least 20 mins to get there... I bought tickets to the Seaworld and Sky Deck. tried to take my time at each place because I had no other plans... I think the rainbow bridge did not have water fountain performances during the winter (someone enlighten me on this) so at 4+ I left the tower to find it drizzling outside. brisk-walked to the subway station and headed back to BK.

reaching back at BK, Guan and Michael asked me to join some others for BBQ! I was definitely up for it... we walked a short distance to this budget restaurant where one person only pays 4000 won! we ordered samgyupsal and dug in. it was sooo good! I had it again on the night I was bound home...

Sat 11 Dec: planned to go for Music Core recording at MBC Dream Centre located about an hour and a half away by subway. woke up around 6am for that but only left at 730 cos was waiting for a Taiwanese mei mei who decided to sleep in ~_~ tried to keep myself awake during the train ride. the sun was shining brightly... the suburbs looked quaint and lovely.

 

it was windy here... very chilly. i followed my gut and walked towards wut i deemed to be the direction of MBC studio. it was quite a distance from the exit but I managed to find it. when I got there, there wasn't any Q in sight and my heart sank... "there isn't a recording today... " I sighed inwardly and took a tour of the building. there was an exhibition on MBC's Infinity Challenge.

I decided to head back to Seoul and take a walk in Bukchon area, where the traditional houses are. I remember watching this on 2Days1Night.

that afternoon was spent napping. I finally got around to contacting Kenneth-ssi, my ex Korean teacher. We made plans to meet at 4pm. he came in his Hyundai Sonata and we decided to go to a spa! he drove me to Dragonhill Spa at Yongsan, one of the biggest there is. a whole building with everything you can imagine! during the long one-hour drive there, we passed by Itaewon. the sun was setting and it cast a lovely golden glow on the the Han River and its surrounding. I couldnt take a picture in time >.<

my first experience at the jjimjilbang. shoes were kept in the lockers situated at the entrance. then I headed to the women's only floor to change into my shirt n shorts. I got a shock when I came out of the lift and there in front of me were naked women, walking about without a care in the world~ I tried to act cool and acted as if I belonged there ;d

back in the common floor, Kenneth and I bought beer and eggs. the eggs were delicious... a bit like our herbal eggs. I should've tried the rice tea though... and asked how to tie my towel into lamb's horns ;d we tried two saunas... one at 40+ degrees and another at 50. the latter was really hot! I couldn't stand 10 mins in there... after each hot session, we went to cool ourselves in the ice room. at 7pm, we went to the sauna cinema to watch Won Bin's Ahjussi. good movie! even though there wasn't subs, I understood most of it.

Sun Dec 12: Guan and I have planned to go to Little France, where they filmed Beethoven Virus and Secret Garden. Meimei said she'd like to join us too but she wanted to go check out whether she could get tiqs for Beast's concert. so Guan and I stayed at BK and lazed around until we heard from Meimei.

lunch was at a nearby restaurant where I tried the mandu and Guan had the sondubu jjigae. while there, I received good news that Meimei had secured tiqs for us both!! I couldn't believe I was actually gonna see Beast's first concert! nor did I expect to be sooo lost trying to find the venue that I only managed to meet up with Meimei 10 mins before showtime ~_~ it was crazy! totally enjoyed myself thou... and thank God for meeting such nice people :)

Mon Dec 13: I booked my KTX train to Busan online. made my way to Seoul Station and arrived there with ample time to have breakfast before my train's departure at 1010am.

Lotteria is Korea's local version of McD. the burger was cold and so was the fries. So I couldn't finish them... I had to change money too cos I was left with a little over 10,000 won after paying for the concert ticket.

I boarded the KTX promptly 15 mins before 1010. The train looked similar to the bullet train we sat in Taiwan. seats are fairly comfortable... my fare had five stops in between Seoul and Busan so it was slightly cheaper and slower than the direct train.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: backpacking, seoul, south korea

About chubipower


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.