Existing Member?

Rons Rambles

Bulgaria - Serbia - Bosnia

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 30 August 2013 | Views [468]

Sofia Bulgaria -

After leaving Turkey we caught a bus to Sofia where we got in around 5pm. We had a short guided tour of the city which i loved (the city not so much the tour). It was clean, relatively low populated and had a lot of attractive women....Alot! We visited a catholic cathedral that took over 20 years to construct with materials from all over the world. Its known as the world cathedral for this reason. Apparently the slopes during the winter are a cheaper alternative than the Alps.

 

Belgrade Serbia -

Learning about the Bulkan regions and the history surrounding each of the countries was an eye opening experience especially with how recent it all occurred (in the early to mid 90's). We also arived to Belgrade quite late but were able to walk through the fortress looking at the tanks and armourey that was used throughout the wars.

 

Sarajevo Bosnia -

One of the most confronting experience in my life visiting Seberinka. The second largest massacre in Europe behind that of WWII and only happened in 1995! More than 8000 innocent civilians were killed by the Serbian army with the UN doing nothing to stop them even though they had posted soldiers in the town it occurred in. 90% of the casualties were men and boys aged between 12-78. We were given a tour by someone who had experienced the pain first hand - a young women whos father was taken by the Serbian soldier before her eyes. It was a very emotional place heightened by the fact that it was a natioanl holiday in Bosnia which results in all the widows and woman visiting the graves of the ones they had lost. It is definitly a place i would recommend visiting and learning about. That night our driver dropped us into Sarajevo where you could still see schrapnel holes in the walls of building from the war. Bosnia was a very beautiful place, someone i would love to visit again but in much more depth!

About chstone


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.