Existing Member?

Rons Rambles

Mykonos and Greece

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 3 August 2013 | Views [347]

SourceURL:file:///Cameron/Users/cameronstone/Desktop/Greece.doc

 

From Rome we caught an overnight ferry to Greece – well that was a sight to behold! After eventually getting on board the ferry we got to our small rooms to put our bags in. I unfolded my top bed bunk yep a four-dorm room the size of your average shoebox. Walking around the decks on the ferry we noticed other passengers setting up their bedrooms… in the hallways, passageways and in front of emergency exits. They were blowing up air mattresses, laying down towels and perching their heads on their backpacks all getting ready for the journey. It was only 5pm and some had already settled in for the night having dinner and sleeping under the light of the deck with people still walking around them to get to their destinations on the boat. Then a few of us reached the roof of the ferry. It was like occupy Wall Street. People had actually set up 2-3 man tents on the roof of the ferry for the night with their legs hanging out of the ends, others had fashioned deck chairs and were already in their sleeping bags trying their best to get some shut eye in the howling wind.

 

Just made it to the roof for the sunset over the water, which was great, meanwhile dogs that were onboard were taking leaks and laying their foundations. I didn’t realise we booked tickets for Noah’s Ark. The next morning we were docked in Greece where we had a short bus ride to our sailboats. There were 5 people per boat with a captain and first mate elected to sail the boats, 7 all together in the fleet for the next 3 days. We me ‘Boy George’ who loved to drop profanities left right and centre and seemed very stern explaining that if we lost a teaspoon on the boat it would cost us 6 euro. He talked so much about us losing possessions in the boat that he failed to mention where the life jackets were or how to turn on our fridges. Eventually we set sail, which was good. Due to a late departure we only spent an hour or 2 on the water before we made it our first port of call. After docking a few of us realised we needed to get some cash out for the night and the nearest atm was a half an hour walk away which didn’t interest a lot of us. Then a local, which we later found out was the dock, restaurant and bar owner told us he would drive us in to town. So we piled in the back of his Hilux and drove into town with the wind in our hair. Obviously this came as a benefit to him because the money we were taking out was coming straight back to him – some would call him an entrepreneur. That night we spent our hard earned, drank, danced before a midnight swim.

 

The next day we set sail to a water sports island. I conjured the money up for a bit of parasailing over the crystal blue water which was fantastic – looking over the boats and people using the jetski’s and banana lounges. That night we docked in the south of Corfu. After a quick swim a few of us went to discover the little fishing town we had stopped at. Found out the Hawkers had flogged Essendon, all good news. Witnessed a bit of local Zorba dancing and partook in a bit myself before calling it a night

 

The last day of sailing we dropped anchor just off the coast of an island and swam in some great water. After this we made it back to the mainland. I had the opportunity to dock the boat with a little bit of help from ‘Boy George’. Took some ripping photos of the sunset that night over the islands

 

Mykonos:

 After a night in Athens checking out the Parthenon an Acropolis we caught a ferry to Mykonos. A few hands of presidents and assholes were played along the journey bringing about many a laugh. We arrived in the afternoon and sussed out our accommodation before heading for the beach and bar. The beach was like off a postcard, crystal clear water, differing shades of blue, lounges along the rocks with straw umbrellas and tunes pumping in the back ground and most importantly no wind. That night I think I can safely say that I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Now the trick if you ever do come to the shores of Mykonos is to 1. Remember that Mykonos always takes but never gives in return (this will be explained later in the rambles) 2. Always get a girl to get your drinks for you because they are cheaper and finally 3. Remember rule no. 1.

 

That night we hiked it along a goats trail along the cliff face to Paradise Beach where all the clubs were. We arrived at the first club and decided to stay there for the night, bit of body paint, shots and a few different cocktails. Now there was trooper I will not forget anytime soon because he has potentially scared me for life. This one guy short around 35-40 with balding hair down to his shoulders decided it was a good time to get hick cock piece and dance on the podium. Yes I could just accept that in the state I was in then a few girls from another trip decided this was too much clothing for him and hence removed that loincloth from him. Well ill firstly give credit where it is due he only pulled off the sock because I had a massive shlong.  Now the next morning a few of the girls had taken some photos of this trooper, which I had to apparently have a geese at. Unbeknown to me on the night this guy once all cloth was removed from his body had piecing’s lets say 6 through is crowned jewels. Now this was too much, sickening and I am very glad I had not witnessed this first hand.

 

The next day a few lads decided to hire some quad bikes to explore Mykonos on. Well…..what a decision!!! We picked up the hogs then a few girls who were interested in tagging along before hitting the open road. One of the girls needed to get some cash out so we stopped at an atm. She was gone for around 10minutes so I went looking for her. While looking I stubbed my big toes badly, big chunk out of it and bleeding everywhere. I eventually found her sitting down with the bank manager because her card had been chewed by the atm. After a bit of talking and realising we weren’t getting the card back we jumped back on the bikes and headed for the windmills we had first set out to see. Then we came to the round about of death. One of the boys ran up the ass of a rental car leaving a minor scratch but a whole lot of commotion. The guy called the police and then our bike hire company and after an hour still on the side of the road next to the busiest round about in Mykonos the hire dude came out. He told Matt to pay the guy 50 euro and it would be all over, so we did and then pissed off to the windmills. On the way to the windmills Matt ran out of petrol, not a great day for the young kid. So while he was stuck on the side of the road we headed off to find a petrol station and a jerry can to come back to him. We eventually found one and refuelled Matty boy then headed off. Now having wasted half the day. We eventually made it to the windmills, which were a relief, but it was now 4pm so we took the bikes back. When we got back the owner of the hire place said we didn’t need to pay anything to the scum bucket rental driver because everything was insured which we thought was the case. We explained that we were just following his employee’s decisions making. We then got to witness a family feud with the owner having a crack at the employee then the father in his 60’s having a crack – anyway Matty boy never got his 50 back. (Mykonos always taking but not giving).

 

That night our last in Mykonos we decided to hit a new club back at Paradise Beach. This club was power trip central, bouncers looking for fights, shirtless wogs looking for fights and being the sleaziest guys going around. We drank anyway then decided to hit the hay. On the way back I decided it was a great idea to steal a large beach flag that was on the beach. After getting a good grip a hit top pace as I knew id be pursued. I ran past a few of the boys at turned a blind corner before lobbing the flag up along the rocks. I quickly did a U turn and walked calmly down the track I had just come from, about 5 seconds later 4 security guards/bouncers came running past me not paying me any attention. They found the flag but they were also searching for me wit their lights not knowing that I simply had walked calmly past them. Later on Dave and Tim the two guys I ran past told me that had got into a jog after the bouncers ran after me thinking there may have been an altercation and they couldn’t believe I simply walked past them without them noticing. Good times but Mykonos still won.

About chstone


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.