Existing Member?

Rons Rambles

Le Tour de France

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 19 July 2013 | Views [360]

Driving on the opposite side of the road, on the opposite side of the car and changing gears with you non dominant hand was at first something you had to constantly think about but as time went on it was second nature. It did take a bit of time getting used to, just ask the gutter of the shopping centre we got stuck in due to GPS misdirection but after that it was a breeze. Drove to a town called Violes south of Lyon at the foot of Mont Ventoux maxing out at a nice 125km in a new car that had the guts of a slug although it was fun to drive. El and I had decieded to put a message on our back window letting people know where we were from and that we wanted (a campsite) with our number on the bottom of it. We got a few hoots and waves but no campsite. We eventually found one in a vineyard that also happened to have a jazz band playing that night. We met 3 old Pomme blokes who were also following the tour. They told us we had no chance of camping on the mountain on Saturday night because it was already full, well we proved them wrong.

 

We found a spot 8km from the summit of Ventoux and set up camp literally in a gully on the side of the road. We hiked to the summit Saturday afteroon which was  a 5 hour round trip. The summit was breath taking with camper vans perched precariously on the edge all propped up so they were level. Apparently one had backed a bit far and had started to tip over the edge and they had to winch it back onto the road.

 

The morning of the tour saw thousands of riders ride past us on the way to the summit or close to it. We found out the mountain was expecting 500,000 people on that Sunday for the race. I had donned the hawks Guernsey and received a few cheers and boo’s from fellow ozzies but it was all in good spirit.

 

2 hours before the race comes through a carnival passes by. It was pretty cool with different brands having a variety of floats where they would throw a variety of items out at people lining the streets. I was able to nab a king of the mountain top and cap as well as a few other things (which when you look back on them are obviously just cheap crap haha). The orica green edge car spotted me out and pulled over giving me a blow up guitar. A couple of hours later the break away riders came through My positioning was good because the peleton had scattered by the time they got to me. Saw Cadel Evans and ran along the Orica Green Edge boys. Then as fast as it had come it was all over. Froome ended up obliterating the rest of the field which was possibly sub-human…… The vibe around the mountain was great throughout the day with everyone being there for the race. Saw and met plenty of Australians walking to the Chateau which was about 4km from the summit. It was mind blowing watching the avalanche of people come down the mountain on their bikes. Tyres were humming on the tarmac and there was the occasional screech of the brakes. We had decieded to get off the Mountain that night and found a caravan park where I had a quick swim dinner and a few drinks.

Vasion La Romaine

After a days rest we drove to Vasison la Romaine which was the start of the Gap stage for the tour. We walked around the town for a couple of hours before the festivities started taking place. We found a spot for the carnival (trying to collect the same crap we ditched only 2 days prior) but the excitement was still the same. Afterwards all the team buses and support cars pulled up in front of us. The riders all rode past us so they could do their warm up before the race. I got some amazing photos with Gerrans, O’Grady and Clarke from the Green Edge Team. Cadel rode past a couple of times but didn’t stop which was understandable. But then on his way to the start line he pulled in beside me for a photo then handed me his BMC cap (warm up sweat and all) telling me quote ‘I’ll give it to you even if you are wearing a Hawks Guernsey”. (Must be a Geelong supporter the turd) Day/Trip made right then and there!

About chstone


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.