Existing Member?

Traveling Tees

The Big Start Part 2

USA | Thursday, 13 October 2016 | Views [197]

We left off in a hotel room after I was beginning to believe I was left alone and uncared for in Seattle on my first major tour. It's the first day of the tour now and the show starts in roughly 12 hours. I wake up to our drummer sleeping and a text. The text from the TM says that crew needs to show by 10AM--Chris you can come a little later if you like. The 10AM call was to set up the stage, and running merch, I really didn't need to be there that early, so I get anothr Uber and arrive at 10:30. 

Everyone is running around frantic. First shows always suck! I briefly see my old friends, I want to catch up, but everyone is too busy. First order of business, where do I put my bags. I walk in, see a suitcase and throw mine with it. Next order of business-Merch World. I check Fedex and everyhthing is supposed to arrive this morning. It's not here yet so I have some time. I go around the venue and find out where merch will be set up and try to help out with some basic tasks with the crew.  

I believe an hour or so had passed, when I walked outside and saw a Fedex truck. I thought, Awesome I can start my day and get everything ready. Wait, could I be so naive? Nothing goes right on the first show day! The Fedex truck drives by...Checking the Fedex page it shows that Unable to Accept Delivery. Basically, that noone was at the venue to recieve it..Well that's bullshit. So I immedately lt my managers know and start on it. Obiviously, this isn't good. For me or my above manager. I call Fedex and it goes to a robot.Fuck that! I call again, Robot! Third times the charm, note that if you immediatly ask to speak with representaitve you will get someone, I get transferred to India. I won't bore you with the whole conversation written up to the best of my memory, but long story-short there was nothing they could do. Fedex drivers do not come back and everything will go to their main storage facility an hour away. 

It's nice to have connections. My boss had a connection at Fedex. He was able to get a Currier to get everything from the Fedex warehouse to the venue 2 hours before doors! (Make Note of this, you'll see it again). I get my merch in, some things are worng, but we make the most of it. 

The artist calls me over and has another task for me once he see's that everything looks pretty good for what we have. the Co-Headliner had body forms and looked WAY nicer, but it will do for now, but we should get some body forms. Done. ANyways, I'me helping with the show buy recruiting volunteers outside to pop balloons during the show, which is nothing new to me show wise, but the added responsiblity is awesome.

Finding a spot on the bus. It was hours later after the bus arrived that I found out it was here. I get my luggage and try to figure out the door lock. Not going to happen, so I find someone in our Crew and they help me out- not for the last time. Naturally being last, I get a spot on the very top of the three rows of bunks. But it's cool I have a place to sleep. Only later after the show doI find out that not only does my light not work, but I don't have a blanket! And buses are kept very coold in order to prevent the spread of germs in close quarters. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.  Mainly I dind't want to sound like an idiot for some reason and because I was the last one in after the show, I wrapped myself up in sweaters and pants and made it through the night a couple hours at a time. You may think that it is hard to sleep in a bus bunk. My parents can still never fathom of doing it. It's like having a sleep chamber. Eveything is cut off except the the rolling of the bus down the road and the sound of the AC and Engine, also maybe the band and crew if it's one of those nights where Bourbon and Music come hand in hand after a show. The first show went great all things considering, and I learned that once again, always expect for the worst. Everthing tends to be last minute. This would be my worst sleeping night on a bus as we rolled onto the next one and I prepared for two more months of this. And it only got better!

About chriswalk

Lilah and I

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.