Existing Member?

Traveling Tees

The Big Start

USA | Wednesday, 12 October 2016 | Views [176]

Early October , 2015.

 

This is it. My big moment, and I'm scared as hell--but I won't let anyone notice. I've already completed my first trial tour, but more on that in a diffeerent story. It's time for the big one. This time I have a rough idea of what to pack, I'm prepped, I have people asking ME questions, heck, I'll manage the hell out of this merch. I'm confident and ready to go.

Mom drops me off at the airport as it was a two hour drive there from my house. Not to Seattle-my final destination- but Detriot. I'm sure it was harder for her than it was for me, and even harder yet  for my Girlfriend Marlee--and that truely was hard for me. But this was my big moment and I wasn't going to let emotions get in my way. We said our goodbyes, and on my nth time checking my printed boarding pass, I was on my way to security. I wasn't going to Check my baggage. That would cost money! Who new about band reimbursement when nothing was explained properly? Besides, I had just gotten my tickets 3 days prior, as original plans were for me to Drive Gear up from Las Vegas. Naturally in the Music Biz, plans change, and I get a free trip to Seattle with a lay-over in Denver. I'm through security easily and quickly find my gate. Time to wait two hours before initail boarding...wouldn't have wanted to be late because of security. 

Fast-Forward through a lot of reading and listening to music on my iPod Classic.

I arrive in Seattle. Holy Shit it's actually raining, and I thought that was just what they say. Now what? I have no idea. I text our Tour Manager (TM) and the plan is to take an Uber to the hotel where I'll have a room with one of the band guys. Cool. Time to download the App--theres no uber in rural Michigan. 

The uber is great. Easy-Enough and I'm glad I put some money in my checking account before hand. I arrive at the hotel and check in. First problem- I'm not in the system. Luckely, I notice one of the crew in the lobby. He's getting ready to leave. Call the TM, he says and takes off. Ok, so I call the TM. He's busy with the Artist, wait around for the Manager or one of the band guys to come and hang with them unitl he can take care of it. Cool...I guess I'll just wait in the lobby. Which is exactly what I do for about a half hour until our Manager arrives. I interned for him over Spring and was glad to see him again. I tell him the situation and he let's me stay in his room until then. Now rememeber, this was my first REAL tour and starting off without a room and any idea of what to do wasn't my favorite start esspessially when I want to impress boss. I get to stay in his room for several hours until the drummer arrives and I can bunk with him, meanwhile the manager will be at dinner with the artist--I'm not invited. Hot Pockets it is! and that's when I started my first walk aroung the city.

Several hours and a phone meeting later the drummer arrives and I make it to his room. I knew him already, but the first tour was so short that I really didn't get ot know anyone really well. We hit it off, wathc South Park, and thus ends my first night across the country on a two month tour.

About chriswalk

Lilah and I

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.