Existing Member?

Christoph's Travelblog

Black water fever

MOZAMBIQUE | Monday, 6 December 2010 | Views [396] | Comments [1]

I had seen and done many things in Nairobi, neglecting the fact that I wasn't really feeling too well. When I arrived in Nairobi I started feeling unwell, had problems with my stomach and felt feverish many nights. In the beginning I thought it might go away.. it's probably just something I ate.. but it didn't. It just got worse and worse. I decided to see a doctor and went to a clinic that looked quite reputable. In retrospect I should have known they were not. They took a bunch of tests (for some of which I am still waiting for results!) and made me pay a lot of money. Probably without really knowing (and really caring) what I had they gave me some random medicine that did not at correspond to the symptoms I had explained to them. I took the medicine anyway, they were doctors after all, and I had to trust they knew what they were doing. Not surprisingly I did not feel better. It got worse. I continued to take the medicine hoping it would help but knew I would have to seek another doctor pretty quick. I went to the doctor that is used by employees of the German embassy. Even he took a lot of tests and said that all my values look normal. By random guess he ordered the lab technician to test me for malaria: it was positive.


I was happy that I finally knew what wrong with me. Still I felt extremely sick and violated as I had trusted that the prophylaxis I had taken in addition to sleeping under mosquito nets and using repellant, would protect me from this nasty disease. The doctor prescribed some medicine that was supposed to treat malaria (I was sceptical because it seemed so random: why should I have malaria? Did this doctor too make a mistake?) . That evening, feeling like dirt, extremely lonely in a crappy bed in a noisy hostel, I decided I wanted to go home to Maputo. So that is what happened. On the flight back I looked outside and saw Mt Kilimanjaro towering above the clouds as if to say goodbye to me. It made me think of all the things I have accomplished and seen on this trip and made me very sad that it had to take such an aprupt end. I don't want it to end but in the situation I was in it was the only right thing to do.


Just like Livingstone and so many other African explorers before me my trip was cancelled due to a simple vicious parasite causing the nasty black water fever they call malaria.. Unlike these explorers I didn't die. This is not the end of my travels. It is only the beginning.

 

Comments

1

Hi Christoph! I expect you are feeling better and that you are enjoying Maputo with your family! I can not wait to see you back in Cph! bisous

  Ingibjörg Dec 29, 2010 12:49 AM

About christoph_j


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mozambique

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.