Existing Member?

Christoph's Travelblog

Karen Blixens trail

KENYA | Monday, 6 December 2010 | Views [498]

The time I had in Kenya was amazing.


I spent two more days in Mombasa. On the first day I went to Old Town together with my fellow resort crashers. We spent the entire day exploring the narrow streets. It wasn't quite Stonetown/Zanzibar but the Swahili vibe was still omnipresent. We had a look at Fort Jesus, Mombasas famous landmark and enjoyed the beautiful sights of the Old harbour.
At one point we went into a local café with the sole motive of having a gingercoffee and ended up getting everything else but the coffee (the pilau there was delicious though!) So we ended up drinking chai tangawizi (ginger tea) from a street vendor which was a delightfully unique experience.
The following day we teamed up with some more americans from the hostel and went resort crashing again.. worked wonderfully. This time we were offered free water and had an intense waterpolo match Animation staff vs. Guests. Good thing I was leaving Mombasa soon. Crashing resorts is so much fun and worst of all really addictive ;-)


Lamu island was an interesting place. It is so small and so remote that they have been isolated from development for a very long time (electricity was first installed end 70ties). It is a very tranquil and calm place. Time is very abundant! There are no cars on Lamu island, which is very relaxing for the ears. The main means of transportation are the plentiful donkeys. They carry people and goods (mostly building material) from one side of town to the next. If they don't do what their master says they get a good whipping.. you can't help but to feel sorry for them, but then again, that's what they are bred for.. There is a donkey sanctuary in town where people can bring their sick donkeys and have them treated for free.. a very good idea in my oppinion.

Everywhere you saw people chewing on small twigs of myraa. It is considered to be a mild stimulant and by chewing the twigs people gain a similar high as from drinking coffee: they become happy, relaxed, awake and loose their appetite. Speaking from personal experience the main problem is that you have to chew A LOT of these bitter tasting twigs before any effect sets in at all.. I'd rather stick to coffee ;-)

A thing I love about Swahili towns is that no matter how small the town is (and Lamu town, e.g. is a lot smaller than Zanzibar town), you will almost certainly get lost in the maze of narrow streets ending up in places and situations you would have never imagined..

While in Lamu I also spent some time on the beach. The walk to the good beach took 30 minutes and on the way you tended to get a little hungry. Good thing some friends and I found the best chapattis in my entire time in East Africa. Chapattis: Salty, oily, soft and crunchy pancake goodness. The lady was delighted that we loved her food which was sweet to watch! If you were still hungry when having arrived on the beach: not to worry, there would be a man coming with freshly made kingfish or vegetarian samosas. Swahili people know how to cook!! (as you can tell, the actual swimming was second ;-) )
One day I went on a dhow sunset-cruise with some people I had met in Mombasa. It was great fun and very fascinating to watch the crew working hard to keep the vessel afloat. There was no sunset that day (covered in clouds) but still we had a great time.


After a small pitstop at the Italian enclave that is Malindi, exploring Hell's Kitchen, a limestone gorge, and the Gede Ruins of an ancient Swahili town, I went back to Mombasa with a friend of mine to catch the famous Mombasa-Nairobi train. This was the gateway to a vast continent by which many settlers arrived in East Africa. Amongst these: Karen Blixen. Standing on the train station, entering the train, observing the landscape rolling past, I tried to imagine what it must have been like back then, when she arrived here to build a farm. The train ride was incredible, we were treated like Kings. People came to arrange the beds while they sent us of to 3 course dinner in the eating wagon. This was quite a sight: through the movement of the train the waiters were thrown in every direction while trying to balance the soup, the rice, the chicken. Still nobody spilled a drop! In the morning during breakfast the train snailed trough big herds of Wildebeests, Zebras and Topis. We also saw the occasional giraf and ostrich. I felt completely warped back in time when the animals must have roamed freely around the train througout the trip. This must have been what it was like for Karen Blixen. I was delighted :-)


Arriving in Nairobi (beautiful train station!) I was expecting the worst. Everyone tells horror stories about the place, so I was on the lookout for anything strange and expected 100s of people to swarm me, trying to sell me safaris or neclaces or even worse: rob me. Exiting the train station I was almost dissapointed. A single inpersistant taxidriver asked me quite timidly: "yes taxi?". "Sihitaji!" (I don't need it!) And he left me alone. Nobody bothered me in Nairobi and I walked the 30 minutes walk to the backpackers being bothered slightly only once. Maybe because I was expecting the worst it didn't seem too bad after all. I don't think that Nairobi (centre!) is any worse than any other capital in the world. You need to be cautious and sensible and you'll be fine.


The following week I explored the city mostly on foot or by matatu (the public busses). One day I visited the railway museum, learning about how the Kenyan-Ugandan "lunatic" railway line was built in the 1890s. I loved the fact that you were allowed (without supervision) to go into the old wagons and locomotives pushing buttons and having a seat in the old coupés :-)
Another day I visited the Nairobi slums. The Americans I had met in Mombasa were doing volunteer work and had asked if I wanted to join them for a day to see what they were working with and to see how people were living. It was a sobering experience seing how these people were living in shacks. The slums are truly a city within the city. People pay rent, go to school, have small businesses, try to survive. Despite the circumstances people seemed resonably happy. The children would crowd us shouting in a sing song: "HOWAREYOU? HOWAREYOU?" as soon as we they released us from hugging and holding our hands (it was heart-melting!) they would shout "BYEEEIIU! BYEEEIIIU!". They knew nothing better then to have taken their picture and I simply had to comply :-).

The Americans had started a small eyeclinic in a school where I helped out in the morning. We checked how well the children could see (if they needed glasses) and had an eyedoctor check for any diseases or abnormalities. It was a great feeling to be able to help even though it was only for the day.

I spent quite some time hanging out with the Americans in Nairobi. They invited me for a Thanksgiving party but had mixed up the dates (the party we were going to was the day after Thanksgiving) so we ended up showing up all dressed up for the big feast a day early :-) The real party the next day was great fun and I can't remember ever eating so much in my life: Delicious. We also watched the movie Out of Africa (in preparation for visiting the farm!) and Harry Potter 7. Can't miss out on that even though I'm in Africa ;-) I had a great time with these guys!


In Nairobi I also went to the Elephant Orphanage. It is a great project where elephant orphans from all over Kenya are nourished and given love in order to eventually get a second chance in the wild as soon as they are strong enough. The project has had an incredibly high successrate reintroducing the elephants and the dedication of the caretakers is admirable: they take turns sleeping together with the baby elephants. If they didn't the elephants would die of stress as they have no one to protect them from predators.
The elephants are only shown to the public for one hour everyday and it took quite some effort to get there by public transport (3 matatu-rides and a 20 minutes walk), but it was totally worth it. Seeing the elephants playing with eachother, rolling aroung and making eachother wet was priceless. I had an extraordinary experience with one of the baby-elephants. With its trunk it took my hand, squeezed it and let it go. I felt a teardrop running down my chin.

After this beautiful experience I went to the Karen Blixen museum. Walking up the driveway I felt instantly happy. The garden, the house, the setting (with the Ngonghills in the background) was otherwordly and extremely beautiful. "This was what it must have felt like, back then, visiting the baroness", I thought. I got an very informative tour, remembered to say: "Nixen Bixen, Karen Blixen", as instructed by a good friend back home and left the place with an immense feeling of satisfaction.


Now I felt I had seen what Nairobi had to offer and had followed Karen Blixens trail into Africa.

 

About christoph_j


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.