Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

Montezuma and Liberia

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 11 June 2008 | Views [762]

Sorry it´s been so long since I´ve posted! Monday morning bright and early Chris, Megan, and I began the bus-ferry-bus journey to get us to Montezuma, a sleepy little beach town in the Nicoya penninsula. The weather was lovely leaving Monteverde, and down right hot by the time we got to the ferry crossing from Puntarenas to Paquare. Instead of taking the second bus for the last leg of the journey, we decided to splurge on an air conditioned taxi (and it was worth it!).

We found our way to the Mochila Inn, a series of cabins billed as ´rustic´ in our Lonely Planet guide. After the monkeys failed to show up in the rainforest, we were looking forward to a place that advertised ´living with monkeys´ right in their sign. We unloaded our things, spent an hour or so on the beach, and returned to shower and hang out on the porch. And that´s when it got interesting... It appears that other creatures were living in our cabin as well, including (but not limited to) several lizards, a colony of red fire ants, and a crab the size of my foot. (The crab was technically not in our cabin, but the front desk, but it still qualifies as gross.) We packed our bags rather quickly and found our way to the Hotel Aurora down the hill, a decidedly less rustic location with air conditioning as well. 

Tuesday we stopped at the Bakery Cafe for breakfast where I had absolutely delicious pancakes with bananas and chocolate and Chris and Megan both ordered the greasiest, grossest french toast ever made. We attempted the walk to the waterfalls, but quickly abandoned it after we discovered the ´trail´ was actually walking through the water and rocks for about 40 minutes. Given my sprained ankle (and the probability I would do something else to hurt myself) we changed plans and returned to the beach. The waves were lovely but the beach itself was strewn with huge branches and random trash. It seems there was a hurricaine last week and most of the Pacific coast is likewise disgusting. So sad.

After showers we got dinner at El Sano Banano, which was showing ´Waitress´ for their movie night. After a week of rice and beans, I splurged on absolutely amazing tuna steak that I´m still fondly remembering. Then it was early to bed because we had early buses this morning.

Chris and Megan are heading back to San Jose as I type, and I am shacking up in Liberia for a night. After 7 hours of travel (bus, ferry, bus again) I decided to take a break, get my own room for the first time on this trip, and rest. Then tomorrow I´ll catch the bus to Tamardino, another beach town on the Pacific, but hopefully unaffected by the hurriciane. The goal is to try surfing (we´ll see if I´m successful) and also take a sailing trip if possible. Anyway, they have wireless there so I should finally be able to upload more pictures. This internet cafe thing kinda sucks after having access to wireless for the first week. 

Anyway, things are lovely and I´ll write more soon. Hope everyone is well!

Tags: costa rica, montezuma, travel friends

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.