Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Stay Cozy with a Swansea Staycation this Autumn

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 16 October 2023 | Views [10]

Staycation UK

Staycation UK

If you’re planning a UK staycation over the next few months, you might want to consider heading in the direction of Wales and heading straight to Swansea. The city is right smack bang on the coast of Wales and has some of the richest history in the UK, from the oldest burial site in Western Europe to Industrial Revolution industry.

While a lot of people might dream of breaks to the countryside for their cozy Autumn retreats, the city (and county!) of Swansea packs a punch with its diverse scenery and endless activities. Whatever you’re in the mood for this Autumn, Swansea has it all.

 

Shop Till You Drop

We all know that the UK weather can be unpredictable. There’s nothing like 3 seasons in a single day, but you hardly want to be struggling with loaded shopping bags and souvenirs when the rain is practically horizontal. Luckily, when staying in Swansea, there’s no need to worry about trying to run from store to store to keep dry while getting in a shopping fix.

From Monday to Saturday, you can get lost in Wales’s largest indoor market. The award-winning Swansea Market is a historic shopping space that is perfect for both tourists and locals alike. The market offers a rich selection of shops and stalls offering bespoke gifts, clothing, antiques and an unmatched atmosphere. If you’re not in the mood to shop and instead just want to soak in the vibes, there’s always live music or entertainment to check out while you try out some of the food and drink available. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can try cockles and laverbread, a real Welsh delicacy. Or just go for a coffee.

It’s up to you!

 

Get Lost in Books

If you prefer a high-brow holiday, Swansea delivers. If you prefer to spend your Autumn curled up with a book, there’s a way to explore Swansea and get your literary fix at the same time. The city is home to Dylan Thomas, the writer and poet who captured not just the hearts of the Welsh but also a romantic American Audience.

Right at the heart of Swansea, the Dylan Thomas Centre offers you a chance to explore the life of the poet and writer from his birth in Swansea all the way to his death in New York. Whether you’re new to the works of Thomas, or you can quote ‘Do not go gently’ by heart, the centre will offer you the perfect place to read, listen and explore. They often run events and have a variety of exhibitions on the life of the writer. Currently, The White Book of Llareggub exhibition is running throughout Autumn to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the performance of Under Milk Wood.

 

Relax in Style

The right way to spend Autumn? Relaxing, of course. While you might want to shop till you drop, you’ll want to drop in style into a nice, comfy bed. And if you haven’t got your energy back by the end of that, there’s always coffee!

The Village Hotel in Swansea is the perfect place to spend your relaxation hours. Situated right on the waterfront, the hotel is the perfect base for all your Swansea needs. From a large, well-equipped gym and pool, to a dedicated co-working space (if you can’t escape from the dreaded call of work on your break!), you’ll be able to do everything you want to do while staying in comfort. There’s even a well-loved pub and grill serving delicious food and drink for when you’re ready to relax and unwind.

Greater Outdoors

If you aren’t one for the indoors, there’s no reason why Autumn should stop you from getting out. While the weather might be unpredictable, the gorgeous scenery is something that can always be relied on to take your breath away. Swansea is more than a city, it’s a whole area of Wales that’s alive and vibrant even in the colder Autumn months.

The Gower area is the first ever area of outstanding natural beauty, and in Autumn, it’s easy to understand why. Under the dark, moody autumnal skies, Gower crackles with a strange sort of electricity. The waves crash into the slivers of sandy beaches, and the rugged landscape gazes across the Bristol channel. For tourists, the area is a Summer favourite, but for locals, the area is even more complex and beautiful when the days are shorter and the air is crisp.  

 

Whether you’re a lover of the outdoors or curling up in the comfy warmth of a bustling market, Swansea has it all. While you might be tempted to spend all your time relaxing in the pool, Swansea always has something happening – it’s just waiting for you to explore.

Tags: outdoors, reading, relaxing, shopping

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.