Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Winter Breaks in the Midlands

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 8 December 2022 | Views [28]

Midlands in Winter

With the nights closing in and the festive season rolling ever closer, you might have a much-needed break on your mind. It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise to learn that a lot of us can experience feelings of stress over Christmas. This can come as a combination of low sunlight levels building towards Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or general stress that’s associated with Christmas.

If you feel like you want a change of scene, why not take a local break this Christmas? The Midlands offers a range of great experiences you can try with your family or as a couple if you want to unwind! Read on to find out more about what’s on offer.

Birmingham City Breaks

A little night or two away in a different city can do wonders for helping you feel like you’ve changed your surroundings. Birmingham is a modern cosmopolitan centre that unfairly loses out in its reputation due to other more prominent cities across the UK. A look at some of the local guides on restaurants and shopping are testament to what can be discovered here. For some, a bit of retail therapy at the height of Christmas might sound like a nightmare, so dodge the crowds by exploring some of Birmingham’s many museums.

Midland Country Rambles

The Great British countryside is unrivalled. What you can find in the West Midlands is just as beautiful and picturesque as the likes of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales but doesn’t suffer from the same levels of overexposure. Have a look at some expert content on the best rambles and walks in the Midlands to discover where you can reconnect with nature. The Cannock Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is a good place to start.

Weekend Retreats

There is a happy middle ground between the hustle and bustle of a city break and the remote tranquillity of the Midlands countryside for those who want it. Near the town of Royal Sutton Coldfield, you’ll find The Belfry Hotel and Resort. This luxury hotel is nestled in beautiful rural surroundings but offers so much in terms of luxury family breaks. With a swimming pool, spa facilities, adventure playground and the famous Brabazon golf course, there is something here to suit everyone!

Attractions to Visit

If you want that real sense of escapism in the Midlands, be sure to check out some of the many attractions that are on offer in and around the area. The likes of Twycross Zoo, Cadbury World and the Black Country Living Museum all provide something a little bit different to explore. Opening times can fluctuate over the festive period, so be sure to double check times before you book your trip!

We hope this article has helped to inspire you to take a trip away this winter to get yourself a change of scene and rest for the new year when it comes. We can all too easily get tied up in our own lives and not letting the festive period become too overwhelming is vital to enjoying it!

Tags: midlands, staycations, uk

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.