Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Summer Staycations in the Midlands: 2022

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 27 June 2022 | Views [47]

With a rise in the cost of living, flight cancellations, and absurdly long waiting queues in airports, there’s no better time to re-capture the post covid sentiment of a UK staycation. The idea for most of us is to relax, so much so that 74% of British holiday goers state it’s their top priority. If that’s the case for you, why not opt for a staycation instead? With such beautiful locations like the Midlands offering something for everyone, there’s no better time to explore the UK. If you want a relaxing, stress-free trip this Summer, read on to learn more about what’s on offer in this region of the world.

Cultural (& Cocoa) Rich Activities

The Midlands have contributed so much to the national identity of the United Kingdom. The region has given us such delights as Rugby, the kettle and perhaps most importantly, HP sauce. With such a rich and diverse background, tours serve every possible interest. From guided tours of the Cotswolds to exploring ‘Brummie’ heritage in the streets of Birmingham, you’ll be surprised to learn just how culturally rich the region is. However, if fun for the family is what you desire, look no further than a day out at Cadbury’s world to discover all things quintessentially British about the nation’s favourite chocolate (it’s great for keeping kids occupied, too!).

City Break or Country Delight? Have Both!

A common gripe of those planning a staycation is deciding between a city break or a relaxing countryside retreat. If you’re smart enough and book a stay somewhere like The Belfry Hotel & Resort in Sutton Coldfield, you won’t have to. The award-winning country hotel is only thirty minutes from Birmingham city centre and a similar distance to the Cannock Chase AONB Nature Reserve. Both high heels and mountain boots can be tiring on your feet, so why not explore its beautiful Spa? With a truly luxury experience, you don’t have to choose either when exploring the Midlands this Summer.

Fantastic Eateries

Historically, the UK’s premier dining experiences were synonymous with London. However, increasingly those visiting the Midlands have come to understand what the region offers. The area now boasts 18 Michelin-star restaurants, each offering their own unique tastes. Perhaps most notable is Adam’s in Birmingham, combining British flavours with creative presentations to add a spark to any occasion. If that doesn’t excite you, look no further than the best Pork Pie in the UK at Don Guest & Son in Halesowen, producing some of the finest British grub around!

Hair Raising Experiences

A precursor to this article was ensuring a relaxing stay. But did you know that adrenaline-inducing activities produce endorphins that contribute to a higher positive mental health and wellbeing? For most, a hair-raising activity wouldn’t be high on our list to relax, but why not try your hand at caving? Dudley Caving Club holds meetings every Thursday and has all the equipment you need to explore some of the most breathtaking views (below ground!). Conversely, take to the plane in a sky diving experience with SkyDiving Midlands, allowing you to (try to) take in the Midlands landscape whilst descending at 120mph! Sometimes it can be good to shake the cobwebs off, and the Midlands can undoubtedly do that.

With so much going on in the Midlands, it truly makes the perfect destination. We hope you find this article helpful in planning your next staycation by showing you what’s on offer in the Midlands this coming Summer!

Tags: midlands, staycations, uk

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.