Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

5 Tips for Relocating in Europe

SPAIN | Wednesday, 18 August 2021 | Views [71]

Are you itching to pack up your life and start a new adventure somewhere else in the wonderful continent of Europe? Perhaps you want to spend your days sunning it up in Spain? Taking in the culture of France? Or learning about folklore and history in Germany?

No matter whereabouts in Europe you want to call your next home, we’ve got some tips here to help you with your transition from living in the UK to living abroad.

 

Do your research

There are 44 countries in Europe to choose from if you want to relocate to the continent. Each of these countries has its own unique cultures and lifestyles as wells as varying rules and regulations. You need to make sure you’re doing your research on the countries you’re considering moving to make sure you’ll fit in with the locals and will actually enjoy living there.

 

Understand the costs

The cost of living varies from country to country in Europe, so how much it will cost you to move will depend on where you choose to call your new home. If you’ve got money to spare and enjoy the finer things in life, then why not choose a new home in one of the Scandinavian countries or Switzerland?

If you’re looking for a comfortable lifestyle at a much lower cost, then southern countries like Portugal and Spain are a good choice. The lowest cost of living can currently be found in Eastern European countries such as Poland, Romania, and the Czech Republic.

 

Consider your working situation

Once you’ve moved to your new country, you’re, of course, going to need to find work. If you’re a resident of the UK or any other European country, then you’ll likely be able to find work easily. However, you’ll still need to be careful in case there are any visa or permit requirements in your chosen country.

After Brexit, UK citizens need a work permit in order to work in an EU country, and, in most cases, you’ll need a job offer from your chosen country so that you can get this visa.

 

Consider your driving situation

If you’re a driver, then you’ll also need to be aware of the driving laws in your chosen country and how these have been affected post-Brexit. You will be able to drive in most European countries, but there is going to be a learning curve.

Not only will there be new legalities involved for driving in Europe after Brexit that you must deal with ahead of time, but you’ll need to get used to a new driving system. There will be different rules to follow, which means getting acquainted with everything from local driving laws to simple things like road signs and speed limits.

 

Is there a language barrier?

There may be other barriers to your move, and if there are, it’s important you take these on board. If you’re moving from an English-speaking country to one where the native, or most spoken language, isn’t English, then this is a barrier you’ll need to overcome.

If your move is going to be permanent, then you need to commit to overcoming the language barrier in order to adapt to your new surroundings.

 

Moving to a new country is a huge lifestyle change, but one that many people have found joy in doing. So, if you’re considering a move to a new country within Europe, use these tips as a starting point to help you get on your way.

Tags: europe, moving, relocating, travel

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.