Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

More City Breaks After Lockdown

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 11 June 2020 | Views [113]

The leisure and travel industries have been badly affected by the last few months of lockdown. Before the Covid-19 crisis, it was easy enough to use a travel website to get a cheap deal to a European city for the weekend on a great deal. The economic effects of the last few months have taken their toll and many air carriers have been struggling. It could mean that we have seen the end of cheap air travel for the time being.

What the industry experts have predicted is that the UK is set for a boom in staycations. When you apply logic, the prediction makes sense. We are still a little way off restrictions being completely lifted, and it’s fair to say that people will be apprehensive about leaving the country even once the rules have been relaxed. The UK is an expansive and diverse place, and city breaks are set to become more common from here on out.

Individual Characters

It could be in the nature of the four home nations of the UK having a distinct cultural identity, but there is so much variety on offer here. International tourists have their favourite spots to visit here, whether it’s for the postcard iconography of London, the historically charged Windsor, or the character of Edinburgh. Beyond these places are dozens of cities and towns that offer every type of weekend you can think of. Have a look at some undiscovered places to see the real scope of what’s on offer.

The Change with Lockdown

It is still very early to say how far reaching the changes will be, but hotels will be investigating the safety product lists that will help them to re-open properly. Social distancing is likely to be in place for some time, and this will probably be the case for when hotels open their doors again. This might lead to a reduction in availability in certain places but could be tempered by a reduction in the overall desire to travel from people in the UK, generally.

Reduced Travelling Costs

As we have seen this move away from foreign holidays, we are likely to see the cost of trips decrease on average overall for people choosing to stay in the UK. While travelling to the continent was cheap, as we said at the top of the article, overall you could still stand to save money. This would be helped if you stick to weekend city breaks, as this is the trend that we are expecting to see the biggest rise in over the coming months as restrictions are loosened further.

Never the Same Again?

It truly has been an unprecedented time across a number of different industries. The Covid-19 outbreak has changed and will continue to change the travel industry. For now, take a look at where you can go in the UK as a means of supressing your wanderlust, and hope that travel further afield will come back again soon. It might be a while, but thankfully there is still plenty on your doorstep to keep you exciting for the time being.

Tags: cities, covid-19, lockdown, uk

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.