Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Moving Abroad: A Quick Guide to Getting Started

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 17 April 2019 | Views [212]

Whether moving abroad alone or with friends and family, it can be a daunting experience. The lure of more money in work, year-round sunshine or a better way of life, or even all three, have many of us dreaming of a new life in another country. So, what’s stopping us?  Often the answer can be found in the overwhelming reality of uprooting a life you are familiar with and starting again in a foreign land. The good news is the process doesn’t need to be stressful. If you prepare early and do adequate research, the whole process can be manageable.

Research, Research, Research

Moving your entire life to another country is a big undertaking and even more so if you’re taking your family with you. It’s for this reason that doing all the appropriate research is so important. Where many expats often go wrong is by throwing themselves too quickly into the move and not properly doing the necessary research. Before you go, carefully consider the kind of accommodation you’ll be able to afford, whether you will be able to affordably take your belongings with you and how easily friends/family will find visiting you, among many others.

Planning Your Finances

When moving abroad you will want to sort out your finances as soon as possible. Failing to properly set up your financial situation could mean you end up paying tax twice on your income – once for your new home country and once for your country of origin. You may also end up initially relying on debit and credit cards tied to your UK bank accounts, leading to high charges on any purchases. Opening a local bank account as soon as you can make payments much easier when setting up in your new home; however, don’t be too hasty to close your old accounts in case you need them for any ongoing business in your country of origin.

Pick Your Removal Company Carefully

It can be tempting to simply opt for the cheapest removal company out there, but you need to be careful. They might be cheaper than all the competition for a reason. Have a look online and see if you can find recommendations from expats who have already made the move, as well as removal companies with strong ratings from customers and adequate insurance to cover any potential damage to belongings.

Manage Your Time Effectively

Time flies – even if it seems like you have loads of time to prepare, research and pack, the time will fly by. It can also take a lot of time for important documents to be processed and approved. Whether it’s your visa or the time it will take for your belongings to ship, make sure you factor in enough time for everything to be sorted before you truly need them.

Invest in Cloud Computing

It doesn’t matter how much you plan, homesickness can sometimes be unavoidable. Whether it’s as simple as missing a local drink or as hard as longing to see your family, homesickness can be tough. The good news is technology has brought everyone – no matter where they are in the world – much closer. Cloud computing can allow families who are far apart in distance still feel part of each other’s lives. Tools like Dropbox, WhatsApp, Skype and Facetime can let you share everything from photos, videos to real-time conversations – all at the cost of an internet connection. Companies like C5 Capital, a cloud-investment firm, focus on backing this kind of technology, meaning it’s only going to improve and become even easier to feel close to loved ones. 

Tags: apps, technology, travel, travel industry

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.