Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Tips For Driving Your Van In Winter Climates

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 28 February 2019 | Views [245]

More and more of us are opting to take holidays that involve travelling by campervan. It’s easy to see what the appeal of this way of travelling is. There are more vans on the market to buy than ever before, and thanks to online marketplaces like Autotrader and even Gumtree, someone who has never had any experience of owning or running a van can get a vehicle that allows you to live whilst being on the road.

Within the availability of vehicles, drivers have the choice to make between getting purpose made camper van, or even buying a commercial vehicle and converting it for use in travelling. There are plenty of people who have taken the latter option, as whole online communities have appeared where travellers impart and share their advice and experiences.

With the winter months rolling on, many travellers will be thinking about taking a break to enjoy the scenery. If this the case, be sure to read on to find some useful advice to help you keep safe when driving a van in winter conditions.

Be Alert

It should come as no surprise that heightened awareness is an absolute necessity when driving in winter conditions. This can take a number of forms, but an overall awareness of the road and your surroundings is paramount. Before you set off on any journey, there are several questions that are worth asking yourself;

  • Is it due to snow while I’m travelling?
  • Are the roads going to be gritted?
  • Will the roads be busy?
  • Am I going to be driving in the dark?

Always ensure you keep a safe distance from the car in front. Even on well-used roads, you can find that the stopping distance of your van will increase massively with a bit of surface water or ice. It’s best to always drive with headlights on to give other road users visibility of where you are.

Make The Right Preparations

Cars and vans handle differently to each other in normal conditions, and wintry weather can make these differences even more acute. Use some of the useful guides online to ensure that your van is winter ready and safe to drive in the first instance. This should ensure that your van handles well no matter what the conditions are.

Remember that your van will have a higher point of gravity than a standard car, which means tighter cornering could make you more prone to tipping over. You will also have more limited visibility if you are relying on rearview mirrors alone with no back window.

If you are planning on travelling to an area that is known for wintry conditions, you should take time to plan where you can go in the event that the weather closes in and prevents you from travelling. While campervan drivers will find themselves in more comfort than the average car in a snow drift, it won’t do you any harm to have a note of nearby hotels and B&Bs to call upon if you’re at risk of getting stranded.

Owning a van for travel opens up all kinds of opportunities, but you need to be prepared for all weather conditions.  

Tags: campervan, safety, van, winter

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.