Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Top Places to Visit in Newcastle in 2019

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 10 January 2019 | Views [253]

Liverpool Travel - Stadt Moers Park

Liverpool Travel - Stadt Moers Park

Newcastle is an incredibly popular location for a night out and long drunken weekends away. Although Newcastle does have a lot to offer on a night out and to drunk stag and hen parties, there’s so much more to it than just that. Whether you are in Newcastle on business or just with your family, there’s plenty on offer to keep you occupied in your free time.

The Castle

Newcastle is situated on the north bank of the River Tyne, opposite the town Gateshead. The castle, from which the city gets its name, sits on a hilltop just five minutes’ walk from the train station. The site was used for defensive purposes as far back as Roman times and what remains today is part of what used to be a much larger fortress. A visit here will take you round exhibits explaining the tumultuous history of the castle as well as a journey through the passageways and chambers where enemies were imprisoned. The castle is open from 10am to 5pm with adult tickets starting at £7.

Angel of the North

If in Newcastle on business, you may not have a lot of time to explore the local landmarks and museums. However, the contemporary sculpture The Angel of the North, designed by Antony Gormley, has become an icon of the city and doesn’t require a lot of time to see. Construction of the sculpture started in 1994 and was mostly funded by the National Lottery. 600 tons of concrete were used to secure the sculpture to make sure it can withstand high winds and poor weather conditions. The Angel of the North stands on the hill of Birtley and overlooks the A1 and A167 roads.

The Great North Museum: Hancock

Newcastle’s natural history museum, established in 1884, the Great North Museum: Hancock is home to incredible exhibitions on the Ancient Greeks, Hadrian’s Wall and even the Ancient Egyptians. The museum can be found next to Newcastle University and is definitely worth a visit if you have the time. During the week the museum is open from 10am-5pm and at the weekends is open from 10am – 4pm.

Eating and Drinking

Newcastle is full of great places to eat and drink with something to suit all budgets. Hearty and traditional seaside food tend to be more popular along with the local Newcastle Brown Ale which is one of the city’s most famous exports. The city is famed for its partying so there is no shortage of great places to go; if you enjoy the buzz of busy nightlife then the city centre is the place to be found. It is worth heading along to the Quayside – especially during the warm summer evenings – to discover some of the great pubs and stunning views. There is also no shortage of great affordable accommodation in and around the city centre where you can rest before another busy day ‘on the toon’.

Sage Gateshead

The Sage Gateshead is a concert venue located in Gateshead on the south bank of the River Tyne. Not only is Sage Gateshead a concert venue, a centre for musical education but it is also an impressive building architecturally. The building won the Local Authority Building of the Year in the 2005 British Construction Industry Awards. If you have some spare time during your trip it’s worthwhile going to the south bank of the river not only for the views but to admire this impressive building. 

Tags: reasons to visit newcastle, things to do in newcastle, visiting newcastle

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.