Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Thinking of Working Abroad?

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 15 May 2018 | Views [295]

A lot of us work what were once coined white collar jobs that mainly require us to work at a desk on a computer. The proliferation of the World Wide Web over the last 20 or so years has changed the very nature of a number of jobs, but it has also opened up the possibility of remote working.

This has made an environment where freelancing and out of office working are a lot easier than they might have once been, becoming an attractive option for those seeking a bit of flexibility with their working pattern. If you’re thinking of leaving the UK to work remotely, here’s a few things that are useful to know.

The Correct Paperwork                                                    

Firstly, the main thing has to be overcome when working abroad is ensuring that you have the appropriate permissions to be in that country, earning money. Green cards and visas are used in a variety of ways to permit non-citizens to live and work in certain areas.

The rules for working in every country are different and the entry criteria can differ quite dramatically, depending on where you want to go. It’s important to undertake as much research into what is required to allow you to gain legal entry into a new country and to ensure you aren’t caught out by lacking the correct documentation. People who are found to be working abroad illegally can face anything from deportation to prison time, so make sure you do your research!

Picking up Work

There are a number of approaches that you can take when it comes to taking on work after moving abroad. A big motivator for people to move abroad is if their current job offers them some kind of career break, sabbatical, or better yet, the ability to continue working for the company from a remote location.

For those in need of a high level of flexibility, freelance networks such as Creative Pool post jobs that you can volunteer to take on as and when you need to. A lot of this work is low-paid however, so you’ll need to take on a high workload if you’re wanting to make a good amount of money by working this way.

Using Technology

A major factor that has spurred the rise of remote working is developments in technology. It’s very easy to work from home in an effective way through communication tools like Skype and GoToMeeting. These tools can put you in a room with your colleagues even if you’re on the other side of the earth. Data is now remotely accessible through cloud back-up solutions, so you can get a hold of all of your employer’s files and records, streamlining the working process.

These technology is moving from strength to strength as the systems that support them become ever more sophisticated. We should expect to see remote working becoming even more popular as it’s becoming easier to connect with people.

One of the main things that put people moving abroad is getting a job with a foreign company in an unfamiliar land. If you’re open to embracing the technology that supports remote working, you might find that making the transition is much easier than you think. 

Tags: remote working, working abroad

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.