Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Visiting Cambridge in 2018

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 11 April 2018 | Views [336]

Visiting Britain is a unique experience as almost every type of holiday is available within a relatively small geographical area. Big city trips can be enjoyed in the likes of London, Birmingham and Glasgow. You can enjoy a rural experience in North Wales, the Scottish Highlands or the Yorkshire Dales. History can be uncovered in the likes of Belfast, Edinburgh and Cambridge. If the latter of these destinations appeals to you for a visit, here’s a few things to bear in mind before booking your visit.

Getting There

The city of Cambridge lies nearly 60 miles to the North of London, in Eastern England. If you’re flying into England, it’s likely that you’ll come into one of the main London airports like Heathrow, Stansted, and Gatwick. Alternatively, you might even come in to Birmingham Airport which is 100 miles to the West. Both are well connected with rail and road networks, as the town is a major hub of the East of England. Be sure to find a route that suits you, regardless of how you’re planning on travelling.

Where to Visit

There’s a great deal of sights and attractions in Cambridge and the surrounding area that will leave you with no shortage of activities at most times of the year. Cambridge is known the world over for its university that was originally founded in 1209. The buildings in which the university is housed are open to the public and guided tours are the best way to get the most out of the stunning architecture that has stood here for many centuries.

As well as the university, there’s a great number of museums for those looking to gain an insight into the culture and history of English life. The Fitzwilliam Museum is stunning to look at from the outside, as the 19th century architecture invokes the pantheon of Parthenon of ancient Greece. Inside you’ll find collections of art, antiquities and much more ranging from the Roman, Egyptian, and much more. 

A trip to Cambridge wouldn’t be complete without a punt on the River Cam that runs right through the town. Students and tourists alike have been using the river recreationally with rowing boats and punts for as long as the university has been there. There’s a number of businesses along the river that open in summer time to the public renting out small boats and the like as this is arguably the best way to see the river.

Eating and Drinking

There’s no shortage of places to eat or drink throughout the town and there’s something to suit every budget, whether you’re in the market for British, Indian, Thai, or Italian food. The likes of Midsummer House and Cotto offer the town’s best rated fine dining experience, but be prepared to pay fine dining prices.

If you want to experience a typical English pub, Cambridge will leave you spoilt for choice, as all over town there are traditional taverns that love to play up to the post card image for merry old England or the tourists. The Architect on Castle Street is probably the best example offering all kinds of local craft beers, and the Hotel du Vin on Trumpington Street is a great place to use as your base.

There is a holiday in Cambridge to suit every type of traveller. Be sure to do your research before travelling to get the most out of this wonderful town.

Tags: cambridge, england, travel, university

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.