Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

A Festival Guide to Edinburgh

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 8 February 2018 | Views [326]

A Festival Guide to Edinburgh

 

Edinburgh. Scotland’s capital city and home to the world-famous Edinburgh Fringe Festival, which takes place annually in August and is the world’s largest arts festival. I often take a jaunt through to Edinburgh for at least a few days of the Fringe run and even if you don’t like comedy, which usually forms a lot of the shows, it’s an unrivalled atmosphere. Incredible stars have found their feet on the Fringe stage, including Hollywood A-Listers Rachel Weisz and Robin Williams, as well as comedic superstars Rowan Atkinson and Billy Connolly.  If you’re looking to spot the next big thing, this is the place for you!

 

What to See

The Fringe is known to those close to me predominantly as a comedy festival, but there is everything from classical piano concerts to Shakespeare recitals to be seen. The programme varies from year to year, so I like to get ahead of the game early and see what is showing at the start of the year then book up on ticket release dates.

There are a few Fringe staples which are unmissable though, like The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo –proclaimed by their website as “The Greatest Show on Earth”. I think that is a pretty subjective statement, but it is definitely worth a watch – featuring 1,000 pipers and Scottish performers, you’ll only see a show as authentically Scottish as this in the capital.

Where to Stay

Unfortunately, accommodation prices for Edinburgh tend to skyrocket during the Fringe. However, there are a few ways to grab the best deal. Booking far in advance will avoid the price hike around the run up to August and make sure you have something secure.

One of the benefits of Edinburgh is that most of the city is quite contained meaning things are usually in walking distance or a very short bus ride away – making Air B&B a fantastic option during the Fringe. It’s not uncommon for Edinburgh residents to temporarily move out of their home for the month of August to capitalise on the tourist injection and make a quick buck. Taking advantage of this can potentially save you some money and if you’re lucky, even land you in a better location than a hotel.

If you prefer the attentiveness of a hotel, looking for accommodation on the outskirts can be a great way to get a deal. Chains like Village Hotels can be found just on the cusp of the city, which have more amenities than some of the city centre hotels like a gym, swimming pool and Starbucks.

Be Prepared

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes” –  which is listed on the Edinburgh Fringe Festival official website. Never a truer word can be spoken about the great Scottish weather. It isn’t unusual to experience every season in 1 day here in Scotland, so forward planning can save you a big headache.

Checking the weather forecast is the first point of call, but bringing a hoodie or umbrella in your bag is the best way to insure a well-covered trip – no pun intended! When it comes to footwear you can be a bit more relaxed, most of Edinburgh’s streets are traditional cobbled pavements which means you can leave the Hunter wellies at home.

 

The Fringe is a staple on the UK calendar, a month of festivities featured on the backdrop of Scotland’s beautiful capital city. If you were already planning to visit Edinburgh, what better way to tie in some culture than to visit during August, where you can soak up the buzzing atmosphere as well as the cities historic past. You won’t be disappointed.

 

Tags: edinburgh, edinburgh fringe

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.