Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Why Portugal is a Great Holiday Destination

PORTUGAL | Friday, 19 May 2017 | Views [741]

With summer just around the corner, many of us might be thinking of where to go to get a bit of summer sun and relax for a week or two. As we’re moving ever closer to June you might be lucky enough to get a late deal on flights to the continent and save yourself a bit of money in the process. When it comes to choosing where to go in Europe, a lot of folk find a country that they like to visit and go to the same place year in year out.

We all have our favourite spots in the likes of France, Spain, Italy and Greece, but if you’re looking to get a little more off the beaten track, why not have a look at Portugal. Portugal has been a popular spot for UK tourists since the rise of the package holiday back in the 1970’s. The Portuguese get a lot of visitors from Britain every summer, so you can expect to see a few home comforts when you’re there and a lot of the locals have good English.

The capital city of Lisbon has a lot to offer on the tourism front, and many people enjoy short city breaks here. There’s many restaurants offering the best in Portuguese cuisine, and as the city is right on the Atlantic coast, seafood is a speciality here. The capital city houses many historic points of interest such as the Jeronimos Monastery, Castelo de S. Jorge, and Torre de Belem, so there’s plenty to do to absorb yourself in the culture.

As with a lot of Europe, Portugal is a big football nation producing giants of the game include Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Eusébio. If you’re wanting a real taste of Portuguese footballing culture, you could try and get tickets to see Benfica, Porto, or Sporting Lisbon if you happen to be in the right place while the league is on. Even for a causal fan of football, the atmosphere that you get when seeing these teams play is like nothing else you’ll see back home.

For those who are maybe just looking for a bit of decent weather to do sunbathing, rather than getting heavily involved in the culture of Portugal, the country is famed for its beaches and glorious summer weather. The Algarve region on the country’s South coast offers breath-taking scenery as well as some of the best beaches in the world. Here, those looking for a feeling closer to home will find British owned establishments like the Macdonald Monchique Resort that give thousands of Brits a bit of sun every year.

For those who are wanting to blend a metropolitan break with a bit of sun and sea, the northern city of Porto offers the best of both. The major city has a thriving nightlife and plenty of clubs and bars if you’re looking to get out and about. During the day if you’re keen to try and soak up some Portuguese sunshine, the nearby beaches of Costa Nova and Aguda are popular amongst locals, which is a sign of quality.

If you’re looking for something a bit different from your summer holiday this year, why not find out what Portugal has to offer? 

Tags: beaches, holidays, portugal

 

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.