Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

My Trip to Dundee

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 13 August 2016 | Views [342]

A while back, it dawned on me that, despite live in Scotland my entire life, I hadn’t actually seen that much of it. This upset me a little, so I decided to do something.

Getting to know ones own country is something that I would suggest for anyone.

I chose to start discovering my own country in the fair city of Dundee. Perhaps not as famous as the more prominent Glasgow and Edinburgh, but still a city with plenty to offer.

During my trip, I stay at the fantastic Malmaison Dundee hotel. A wonderfully classic building, with some absolutely fantastic décor and designs. If you’re a fan of architecture and classic decoration, then this is the hotel for you.

I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to visit, but I checked with the staff at the hotel, who were more than happy to offer a few Dundee-tips of their own. So, I had a full itinerary and was ready to go. Here are some of the highlights from my weekend in Dundee.

Camperdown Wildlife Centre

The weather was surprisingly decent when I was in Dundee, so this made for a great day to visit the Camperdown Wildlife Centre. It has got everything that you’d expect from w wildlife centre, and a little more. As well as having some fantastic animals on show, they also offered a ‘Be a Zookeeper for a Day’ service. Being the big kid that I am, I couldn’t resist taking part in this. I got up close to some animals that you would normally only get to see for a distance. It was great. The Clydesdale horse was definitely my favourite.

I wasn’t there with children, but if you ever find yourself in Dundee with your kids and are looking for something to keep them entertained, then the Camperdown Wildlife Centre is exactly where you should go.

University of Dundee Botanic Gardens

Like I already said, the weather was surprisingly great that weekend, so I continued my adventures outdoors and ventured along to the Botanic Gardens.

I’ve only been to the Glasgow Botanic Gardens a couple of times, and while it was nice, I was never really overwhelmed. The Dundee version was much more impressive. It’s a vast grounds, around 9.5 hectares, so it took a while to get round and see it all, but it was worth it. It was a very chilled and very relaxing place to be. And quiet. I’m not used to things being so quiet!

If you’re looking for something leisurely to do in Dundee, I’d definitely recommend have a jaunt around the gardens. A great place for couples, families, or even just by yourself. It’s also a great place to take some selfies!

Dundee Museum of Transport

Again, something that I could visit in my home city of Glasgow, and something very enjoyable, but it was good to see something new.

I’d say the main thing that the museum has over its Glaswegian counterpart, is an aura of nostalgia. Yes, Glasgow has Main Street, but there’s just something about Dundee that lends to the reminiscence and authenticity.

There wasn’t any particular events on while I was there, but I did manage to get a look at what the museum had planned for the rest of the year – and it’s good. You can have a look at their What’s On page, and decide for yourself what you’d like to do. I certainly would like to go up and see what they’ve got planned as part of the Tay Bridge 50th Anniversary celebrations!

Tags: city breaks, dundee

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.