Existing Member?

No more red dirt

US Road Trip: Part 2 Arizona to Canada

USA | Sunday, 15 May 2011 | Views [341]

From Moab we headed south to Arizona on our way to the Grand Canyon. At the state line is the amazing scenery of Monument Valley made famous by old western films. Large buttes of rock several hundred metres high rise out of the desert plain which has been eroded away around them. See the photos to get the idea.

Quite a large area of NE Arizona and bits of surrounding states make up the Navajo nation. The largest of the Native American reservations. They are almost states (or even separate countries) in themselves with their own laws and of course casinos. We stopped off here to see some of the ancient cliff dwellings common here.

From here it was several hours drive across desolate northern Arizona to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Not much to be seen here but there were a few strange sights. Large rocket shaped silos, long distance electrified rail lines to nowhere, UFO shaped clouds and a suspiciously high number of empty school buses for the middle of nowhere.

Turning up to the rim of the Grand Canyon at sunset made for an excellent first view. It is impressively big and you do feel rather small. We spent the night at the south rim village and spent the next day doing a short hike down into the canyon and exploring other vantage points. While the weather wasn’t great and it did rain/snow at times it was still a good day. We also managed to spot a furry eared squirrel which made Dusk’s Day.

Williams was the furthest south we went on this trip. It is a fairly small but nice town on the old route 66. The main reason for stopping here a night was that it was on the way from the Canyon to Vegas and had cheaper accommodation than the Canyon. However our accommodation turned out to be worth the stop alone. It was a really quirky little hotel with wonky floors and different themed rooms (Blue, Asian, Paris, Nautical, Giraffe etc) We got to wander round beforehand and choose which room we wanted out of the ones available. We chose the Asian room – because it was sunny.

The Hoover dam sits on the Arizona/Nevada border and made a good stop on our way to Las Vegas. You had to pay for parking on the Nevada side so we drove back to Arizona where it was free. One random hoover dam fact; Arizona didn’t approve it till several years after it was finished.

Instead of heading straight to our hotel in Vegas we decided to drive down the length of the strip - by the time we’d got to the end I’d decided I was over Vegas and ready to leave. The casino buildings were impressive but the huge number of people and brashness of everything got to me. Not really being that into gambling we really only came to see the lights, unfortunately without realising it we came on the night earth hour was on and spent a bit of time wandering around thinking the lights were actually pretty lame until they got turned back on again. We did try to gamble but after playing pokies and blackjack for about 15 min we got bored.

The next morning we were up early for the long drive to Mammoth. We were cruising till we got to the bottom of Death Valley and the car engine light came on. An old timer at the gas station reckoned he’d seen it a lot and was because the engine computer couldn’t handle being below sea level and would be fine when we went up again. Being less than 100 m below sea level and figuring the atmospheric pressure wouldn’t be that different to sea level we were a bit sceptical at this explanation. It didn’t go off when we were up above sea level again and with a few hundred kilometres and a couple of mountain ranges between us and Mammoth we again found ourselves in the middle of nowhere with a dodgy car. There wasn’t much we could do but carry on and hope.

Our fuel gauge had been playing up for a few days beforehand and after stopping for gas the light went out only to come back on again when our fuel gauge played up again. After another fuel stop and similar happenings we suspected the engine light was linked to the dodgy fuel gauge. With the car otherwise running fine we decided to not worry about it and just carry on. This was all later confirmed when we had the car serviced back in Vancouver.

We had a great day of skiing at Mammoth. The snow was reasonable and we had nice warm sunny spring weather and some amazing views. The only downer being that it was to be the last day of the season for us. We also had some incredibly bad Japanese food in Mammoth – never trust Mexicans to cook Japanese.

The next stop was San Francisco. It was good to catch up with Fi and Hugh again. We needed to pick up some of our stuff left there in the summer and sort out a few things, although we did manage to squeeze in a Katchafire concert though. It was also here that we first noticed the car had developed a shudder when stopped but still running, no shudder when moving but still a bit worrying.

We took off up the coast with plans to make our way leisurely seeing the sights on the way up to Vancouver but between poor weather, a dodgy car and blocked roads it wasn’t that leisurely. The first day we got a long way up the coast only to find that the main highway had been buried in a landslide and with no nearby alternatives we had to double back about 4 hours just to head north again. The weather closed in meaning side trips to see Crater Lake national park and Mt St Helens were pointless and with the car still doing all manner of strange things we were glad just to eventually roll into Vancouver.

Vancouver was mainly about selling the car. We also had a few other things to do like ship our ski gear home and close our bank account but selling the car was the most important and with only a week before flying out a bit stressful. To cut a long story short a guy from Vancouver Island got a cheap deal but it was still a better price than if we had had to do a last minute sale to a dealer and yes we did tell him about the issues the car had. In fact, closing our bank account was more difficult (apparently we needed to go to the same branch we opened our account at to close it, which wasn’t really an option as that branch is on Vancouver Island) so almost a month and a few faxes later it still isn’t closed. At the end of the week though we did have a couple of days spare for some sightseeing – something we hadn’t managed on our 3 previous visits to the city.

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.