Existing Member?

No more red dirt

US Road Trip: Part 1 Canada to Utah

USA | Sunday, 17 April 2011 | Views [338]

The great US road trip...well at least the first bit.

So on this trip we learnt that our car wasn’t really that great, lots of strange happenings and one big repair job...but more about that later.

The trip started off well enough, we headed south from our winter base of Golden BC into Montana.  Our previous land border crossing into the states in Alaska had been a rather scary affair with a somewhat psychotic border guard but this one was the opposite.  The guards were nice and friendly and they didn’t even want to search our car (which we were very happy about...not because we were hiding anything dodgy but because we couldn’t be bothered unloading our very packed up car).

 Our first stop was a small town called Whitefish in Montana.  We didn’t really know much about Whitefish apart from it having a fairly decent ski field and that seemed a good enough reason to go.  Due to time constraints we only had enough time for one days skiing, but we were lucky,  the weather and snow conditions were perfect.  Whitefish isn’t as challenging as Kicking Horse but it does have a few good runs....although a little short.  It is very popular with families and being a Saturday the mountain was very busy however, unlike Kicking Horse the lifties could actually organise a lift line. Some locals told us about a good run off a ridge slightly out of bounds, so we hiked up and got fresh tracks at 3 pm in the afternoon.  I was having a bit of uncoordinated day and crashed a lot, I also forgot to bring the camera so we only got a few photos on Chris’s cell phone.

The next day we headed south to Jackson, Wyoming.  It was our longest day of driving on the road trip....almost the length of Montana, a corner of Idaho and into the north west corner of Wyoming.  In Jackson we went skiing at Jackson Hole. Jackson Hole has a reputation of being one of the most challenging mountains in North America.  However when we were there much of the upper mountain was closed (all the steep interesting bits) and the weather pretty average.  The snow conditions were pretty bad too, super icy off trail in the morning and the stickiest snow I’ve ever skied on in the afternoon. 

Jackson is the closest town to Yellowstone National Park.  In winter the park basically closed except for a few guided trips.  The two options were to go on a crazy looking tracked bus or on snowmobiles.  We chose the latter option.  I discovered that snowmobiles are really hard to steer and you end up getting really sore arms, so Chris drove most of the way and I hung on at the back.  Our trip took us into the main hub of the park, where old faithful and other geysers are located.  We got to see lots of bison and the geothermal area.  To be honest the hot pools and geysers around Rotorua in New Zealand are actually more impressive than the Yellowstone ones.  After eating a yummy bison stew for lunch we hopped back on our snowmobiles for the return journey.  It was the last day of the winter guided season so there were heaps of other snowmobiles and busses, the park is then shut for a few weeks in preparation for the busy summer season.

So the car....in Jackson we noticed that there were strange bubbles in the reserve coolant and that the car was going through quite a bit of oil.  On our way down to Colorado we stopped at a couple of garages to get their opinion, the first didn’t think it was anything important and told us the car was fine, the second had a look and thought that it might be the headgasket.  To replace the headgasket is a major job...a couple of days work and a lot of money.  The second mechanic told us that he wouldn’t be able to get on to it until the following week...assuming he could get the parts.  As we were in the middle of nowhere Wyoming we didn’t like our chances and we especially didn’t want to get stuck there for a week.  So we carried on to our destination for that day, Boulder, Colorado, hoping that the engine didn’t blow up and topping up the oil and coolant every hour or so. 

Well we did make it to Boulder.  We had planned to spend a few days there staying with our friends Damo and Elyse checking out the area and maybe getting in a day of skiing.  However that was all put aside while we sorted out getting our car fixed.  Luckily Chris had made sure that our warranty (we got when we bought the car off a dealer back in Vancouver) covered head gasket replacements and that our Canadian warranty company covered repairs in the US.  So a few days and $1700 later our car was fixed. 

The drive to Utah was pretty scenic, through the Rocky Mountains, over the Vail Pass, past several ski fields that come all the way down to the interstate and through the Colorado River gorge.  Somewhere in backblocks Colorado Chris decided that he had a craving for junk food...specifically American style drive through junk food.  Being drive through novices (we very rarely ever get takeways) we weren’t really sure where to go and what to do.  After pulling off the interstate we bypassed Macdonalds and Burger King and went for Sonic ....as it had a cooler sign.  Instead of a drive through it had several parking bays with menu boards and intercoms at each.  Chris made his order (a milkshake) and a few minutes later it was delivered to the car by a girl came on roller skates.  Classic American style, Chris was pretty pleased with the whole experience.

In Utah we stopped in Moab for a few days.  Moab is famous for its mountain biking and its amazing scenery including two national parks within short driving distance of the town.  It was a very snap happy few days.....with hundreds of photos of red rock arches (Arches National Park) and canyons (Canyonlands National Park) and other miscellaneous red rock features.  Canyonlands national park is located where two major rivers (Colorado and Green) meet. The most accessible part of the park is the island in the sky section at the northern end and this is where we spent a day checking out.  There are numerous short walks and vista points to appreciate the landscape, while not as large as the grand canyon it is still pretty impressive.  We didn’t have time to check out the other parts of the park as these would have require a long round trip from Moab and some areas are only accessible by 4WD. 

Arches National Park is all about arches.... and for many people all about taking photos of the arches at the right time of the day.  So we spent the morning rushing around trying to visit all the “morning” arches then returned in the evening to photograph (with about 100 other people) the delicate arch at sunset. We took many many photos and ended up deleting most of them.

About chris_and_dusk

Leaving Vista St

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.