Existing Member?

chinapies

Sacre Blieu!

CHINA | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [826] | Comments [2]

Sorry for being a bit delayed with posting stuff, peoples... Linds and I have been doing our TEFL course in anticipation of starting work pretty dang soon.  In fact, I start work this afternoon!  And believe me, having to face a hectic schedule of three hours a day, three days a week, has me shaking in my boots.  Truth be told, I can't believe I'm gonna get paid for slacking off.  This is almost as good as working at the WDC.

Apart from TEFLing, we did manage to have a leetle bit of an adventure yesterday... that's right, we bought a printer!  A brand-spanking new HP F388 for a grand total of 460yuan (approx $70USD), and it is a scanner and photocopier too.  Not bad, eh?  Of course, the instruction manual is in Chinese, but we got it to go, and it hasn't exploded yet, so it's money well-spent. 

The journey to get this thing was, er, fun, of course, as with most journeys around here... and we added to the danger by catching the bus into town.  Ok, I exaggerate a little, the bus is probably the safest way to travel, unless you happen to have a T-80 tank handy, in which case the bus is second only to the tank.  You can tell the buses are safe because of all the bicycooters and pedestrian body parts collected under their rear grill.

So we get to Tian-Fu square, which is effectively the centre of town, and is overshadowed by a impressively large statue of Chairman Mao.  I have to apologise here, folks, 'cause I didn't take my camera with me on this sojourn - the batteries went flat on me the night before, and Linds was hogging all the charger slots, so you can blame her.  Her email is lindsayhoggedallthebatteries@dangit.com if you want to send blame-notes directly to her inbox, and expletives are acceptable currency of blame.  She is gonna kill me when she reads this post.

We wandered around the town square for a bit, trying our darndest to look like locals, which mainly involved pretending that traffic didn't exist.  Unfortunately, traffic does exist, and even worse, it pretends that you don't, so crossing the road truly becomes an exciting experience, much like base-jumping without a parachute or hunting Kodiaks with a knitting needle.  Ok, so I don't have experience in either of these activities, but crossing the road in Chendgu makes one very much alive... albeit somewhat briefly.  Especially if a bus is coming (see above).

Anyhow we returned via taxi and hung loose for a bit, which was nice. However, our friendly neighbours upstairs were gonna get dinner and catch a movie after, so we decided to join them. It turned out to be a great idea, 'cause we wound up at this trendy little plaza next to Sichuan University (which is different to Sichuan Normal University in that it doesn't have the word “Normal” in it). After din-dins was done, we headed up to this Parisian cafe that was a little taste of home away from home. (Er, although I'm not from Paris, but these days even a Ukrainian snail stroganoff would seem more homely than some of the things we've been eating... not that I'm complaining, mind (see below)).

The “movie”, it turned out, was being shown at this cafe, and it was a Croatian story about some random dude who buries his brother for 20 years. The movie was kinda entertaining to begin with, but when we hit Part 3 some four hours in, we realised that this was a movie that did not end. The highlight was when the protagonist dived under water to save his son, and callously blatted some random fish away before being caught in an underwater net (presumably to drown). The movie then went on to detail some monkey-man's life 30 years after the protagonist met his untimely demise, and we went on to get the hell outta there because a) the movie was CRAP, and b) the sun was getting up soon.

Anyhow, I'm now finishing off this post, and it has been several hours since I taught my freshman students their first English lesson. These kiddies are screwed. (see below)

Completely screwed.

I'll write about all this tomorrow, so please stay tuned.

Pies out.

Pies tip of the day: If you want to teach English in China, please learn English first. You see, I didn't, and now 105 students of the grorious Sichuan Normal University will wind up with “Flang” and “you's guys” in their newly acquired vocabulary. Flang.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hello Teach!
I have to say, you do look the part in the classroom....we used to have a science teacher who looked just like you...poor bugger....
Pity those poor rittle lich kids who have to suffer your confused and garbled grasp of the engrish ranguage....not an inspiring introduction to their use of the world language...but am sure they will be entertained at least and pretty soon, the clazy mirror rucas flom nu zirrand will be the talk of the campus....
Have to say I am totally jealous of your your culinary options and seems that your taste buds are getting a thorough work out on a daily basis...but the big question is...have they got a Macca's??...or KFC??...or maybe not such a good idea in that part of the world??....Kentucky Fried Cocker spaniel or Jack Russell quarter pounder dont really sound that appetising...
Will await photo's of you on your new Cycliscooter with bated breath....is it basically a cycle with a motor??...whats the story??...
Life at WDC is...life at WDC....nothing much happening out of the ordinary....We are starting to prepare for the Staff Concert...have decided that we will all dress up as little gay persons and do a Village People medley....everyone is really excited about dressing up in tight clothes and dancing around like a hirsute and very camp resident of San Fransico...well not everyone is...but Grundy is especially, as you might expect...
Pay packs out last week....everyone is very happy....well not everyone...well only one or two really...but not Grundy...as you might expect....
Well bettr close off now and do some work....keep the journal entries going...is always fascinating to read of your adventures.....
...and clean your room for goodness sake....Lindsays looks much nicer than yours....
out for now...
Gazza

  gazzab Sep 4, 2007 8:48 AM

2

This is the makings of your new novel Andy!
or should I say Mr. Lucas, your looking the part in that picture, good work.
Great to hear your adventures, makes us all seem so boring back here!
Much love, Nina

  Nina Sep 4, 2007 9:29 PM

About chinapies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.