Existing Member?

Intrepidone1

Krabi Thailand

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 14 September 2010 | Views [692]

Krabi

Krabi

Well dropped here on a side street and soon get my bearings, and with pack on back I head along a path on along the river to find a pre-booked hotel a little way out of town called the Bann Andarman, (Bann being 'House'.) along the way one of the local travel agents asked where I'm going. They quickly arrange for the hotel driver to pick me up at no cost. This turns out to be a bonus as I was heading in the wrong direction and would have had a steep hill to climb otherwise.

This hotel at 800 Baht roughly $30 au dollars a night certainly isn’t backpacker territory but I had already decided it was worth it as I wanted some air cond and chill out time after my hectic journey up the coast. A great little hotel with balcony which was probably the best place I have stayed so far.

A nice bed with bed posts clean sheets bathroom, Australian TV channel and very friendly staff. Turns out the staff were a little to friendly.

That evening I ordered my first Thai green chicken curry in Thailand. I asked for very hot knowing I was taking a risk but what the heck. Lets do it properly I thought. Besides I love hot curries. Having cooked this dish at home over and over again I was interested to see what the real version was like compared to mine. I was happy to find mine was pretty close albeit this little number the chef dished up brought the 'rare tear to my eye'. Fire hot which numbed my lips and sent pins and needles into the far reaches of the old loaf upstairs. As with all good curries though the numbness quickly diminished and I was satisfied with my lot.

The chef came out to ask how it was unto which I gave him a raving review. A colourfull character he quickly took a shine to me asked where I was from and was quickly into discussion. He was originally from Chang Mai the northern part of the country and told me how he had worked in different parts of the globe including Sydney. He was 46 years old in April and was surprised when I told him I was only one year younger than him. I also spoke to another staff member Kann pronounced Gann. I read her name tag and pronounced with the K with which she quickly corrected me as if you say it with a K it means 'An old maid'. Opps ! She also said women over 30 are considered Kann if not married and she was worried she was going to end up with such a fate as she was already 26 and had no boyfriend. “shock horror”

As I enjoyed talking to the staff which were all so welcoming my two day stop over quickly turned into four. I had set up a tab on there drink bar and as it was within easy reach I soon accumulated a hefty bill as I was to discover upon leaving.

There's not much to do in Krabi unless you take day trips to the islands close by however I was just happy to wander the streets and check out some interesting local shops and markets. There was a fair in town not far from where I was staying which only finished the day I left. The food sold consisted of all sorts imaginable including fried insects like crickets ,grubs, and praying mantis. I neglected to try them but the stall owner insisted they were delicious. Maybe next time I said. There was another stall that sold BB guns, crowd control batons, stun guns, knives and swords. Pretty cool for mild disturbances in the provinces I thought.

Another day I wandered out of town along the river and came across a fishing tackle shop. I asked the owner if they get baramundi around these parts. He said up near where the river meets the mountain, so off I trekked. I found a path leading through the mangrove forest which was nice and proceeded along to find a small jetty below some cliffs. There were a couple of locals here fishing but all they seemed to be catching were guppies smaller than a mullie. By the looks of the place it didn’t exactly look like barra territory although there were some eddies around (swirling water) that might have been worth throwing a line into. Stayed here and watched then headed back to the hotel.

My last night in Krabi I was looking forward to another meal from the Chef but as I sat on the balcony I could here his voice with some of the other staff. Sounded pretty pissed to me so was a bit worried what I might get. When I went downstairs for the meal my fears were confirmed and I had suddenly become his instant best buddy. Now understanding a man who speaks bad English is one thing but when he's pissed its another thing altogether. Needless to say most of it was unintelligible but I got the general gist of it including asking the same question over and over again “when are you leaving , where are you going and why not stay longer, he then asked if I could bye him a Chang beer as that was 'The best beer in Thailand”

I thought this was a little out of line but because he was nice to me the preceding days I thought maybe I should. This of course turned out to be a bad move as next he was singing 'no woman no cry' – Bob Marley song. He had his own interpretation though “No woman no cry no katoey I die” (katoey being lady boy). Turns out he proudly boasted he had been with more than 20 katoeys. OK so the nights starting to go down hill by this stage so I decide to order a curry and get him into the kitchen.

Anyway curry turns up looking rather watery without much meat and a sad display to say the least.

Chefs starting to fire up and keep pestering me for a beer. The other staff were telling him he should go home but he tells them he wants to stay here with Pauuull as he pronounced my name.

Eventually he heads off around midnight to my relief and hopefully sober in the morning for my breakfast. 'Thinking of myself here of course” :-)

Come the morning its time to leave for Phi Phi island and chefs waiting for me and to my dismay still pissed and badgering me for another beer. The bus finally turned up with which chefy helps my pack into the vehicle, carrying it by my telescopic fishing rod attached to the pack which I hoped he would'nt break. Fortunately not. I said my goodbyes and gave the traditional 'Wai , a prayer like palms together gesture and fingertips to nose welcome/departure sign. Onto the ferry and Phi Phi next being Wednesday the 15 September.

Worth the look- Check this link for more Krabi video and Taser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iejNZLwvRrY

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.