Existing Member?

Through the veins of Europe and beyond

Opera in the Roman Arena

ITALY | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [386]

Roman Arena, Verona

Roman Arena, Verona

The crowd was growing quiet as the darkness settled over the arena. A rustling noise announced that the candles that had been handed out at the entrance were being unwrapped. The few with lighters lit their candles and slowly the fire spread across benches and down rows, neighbours leaning over to light their candles on those of their companions. Before long the stadium was filled with flickering flames. Each on their own hardly noticeable but together they lit up the entire roman arena. As wax was melting onto people’s hands the spectacle began. The first singer walked onto the stage and a roar from the crowd greeted his appearance with approval. The air of the ancient arena soon vibrated with the sound of violins and drums and so the opera started. Just as they had for 100 years before when Verdi first set his Aida in this magnificent setting. Enchanted by the smell of a thousand candles, filled with the music of great composers and hypnotised with the floating costumes of the singers I was transported back to a time long since past.

Tags: events, opera, roman arena, verona

 

About chiacchierare

Giro d'Italia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.