Existing Member?

Biking trip

biking french alps

FRANCE | Thursday, 14 May 2009 | Views [515]

10 am back on the bike direction barcelonnette, but aint gonna reach it, my goal is the lake before it on the d954. Was a grey day, but no rain, no hot, not cold, perfect for biking. Sceneries was a pure delight, passing from digne with it river to la javie with the mountain to Seyne with the valley “mountain were all the way on each side, it the alps after all...) reached the C lake ( didnt get is name, on the map got the shape of a C so that gonna be is name for now) for once the lake wasnt surrounded with 10000 house so was easy to find a spot and what a spot, one of the top 10 place I slept in the last 2 month of camping.


Early start, 9h30, sleep well for once and hey the leg are top shape, add a choice 2 road to take, briancon or gap. Before that choice I stopped to throw my garbage away and in front of me was a little path with a sign at the start. Over it was the view of some strange rock. So I went to take a look. It was like they call them the demoiselle, ( a pillar of sand with a big rock on top of it. They explain how the been made, simple erosion, the top rock protect the sand under and more it erode, more the sand with the help of salt and other mineral get harder on the side so it support the big rock. 13 km later I reached my 3000 km since my departure, time for some photo!! now do I go gap or Briancon.. well leg fell alright so lets go briancon. Few km later on the N94, no bike alound, how surprising, add to go around by embrun, longer but nicer road was happy with it. Once back on the n94, there was some old prehistoric cliff ( that what the sign say) cliff+river+the mountain topped with snow in the back, what a picture to take. Refill my water at a source in a small village( so much fresh water source in this part. Love it) and time to find a spot to sleep, but I was getting more close from briancon and there just lot and lot of house around here, last thing u know it you in town.... got further on and 5km later finally found one, not to nice but dont care I got enough.


Morning, got back in town to get food and well didnt know if I wanted to stay here or go, I went to the camp site nearby but was close, ok then let get out of here. First I went to see the old city, nice old little street with the building around it, nice. Got out of it and just there was a post office, time to get rid of some sand I collected in corsica for my sister and one of her friend. 1 kilo less on the bike. Full of food and ready to attack the col of lautaret. 2058 meter of altitude. 26 km climbing. I took a break about midway to eat some bread, cheese and pate with the view of the Ecrin mountain in front of me, marvelous.after about 2 hours of climbing I reached it, a nice sign saying 2058 meter, let took a photo !! a lady offered me to take one with me on it. Perfect thx. Well glory was short, time to go down knowing that usually the tour the france pass here.. a well I made it with 20 kilo of baggage, for me its a success. Stopped a few time on the wait down to take photo, few water fall, one of them I went closer and near it was all muddy took my photo and on the way back I told myself math stay on your feet... I grabbed the tree around but wasnt enough, bye bye I was on my butt. Washed myself down hill, wasnt to bad. I definitly went further then expected, I must be about 30 km from Grenoble and I found a little place to sleep. Got the tent up and felt still in shape, but once I lay down ouff, was about time. Food, a cup of the and time to dream.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.