Existing Member?

Six months abroad!

Chumphon- Chiang Mai- 24 train ride...

THAILAND | Friday, 1 April 2011 | Views [4982] | Comments [1]

Yep you heard right... 24 hours on a train!!!

Probably up there with one of the most full on things I have ever done.... We travelled from Chumphon to Chiang Mai starting at Chumphon at 12:30pm and arriving in Chiang Mai at 1:15pm the next day.

We had to get out of Chumphon as there is no way we could get over to Ko Tao and even if we did get over there, the flooding has destroyed a lot of beaches and resorts... not the kind of beach holiday we were planning.. hahah

We went to the train station and bought tickets to Chiang Mai connecting in Bangkok. All of the sleepers from Bangkok were completely booked out, meaning our best option was the 2nd class air con seat... We thought it would be ok as the previous trains have been fine and the seats recline nicely!... oh how we were wrong!!!!

The train ride from Chumphon to Bangkok was good. 6 hours. the trip we had done two days prior, on a decent train with aircon and nice seats....

We got to Bangkok and jumped on our connecting train... lets just say 2nd class seat with aircon--- isnt a 2nd class seat with air con..The train was really old, like im talking ancient. No fly screens, no air con, no little free meals like the other trains and just filthy, with black soot all over the ground....

After coming to grips with our accommodation for the night I found some earplugs and had a bit of a snooze. constantly waking up to the sounds of the train on the tracks and how freezing it is up north during the night!!! -- of  course we didnt get a blanket (couldnt even bribe the mannies with baht!!)

At 5am we were wide awake with the rest of our class in our cabin and decided to go for a coffee in the restaurant cabin... hahah no such luck unless you buy a full meal.. 130baht ($4.30 aus thats expensive for breakfast) for a sandwich (meant to be toasted) with spam and lettuce and a few bits of pineapple! *spew*

Putting it all behind us, the rest of the trip was dragging on, but  the scenery was incredible! (There are a few photos in the gallery) We were like a train going through rugged jungle, then huge rice paddies and then little towns, just beautiful!

On the train I made a friend named Angelique.. shes French and is travelling solo so when we arrived in Chiang Mai we asked her if she was keen in getting a taxi with us into town as we had accomodation booked and she didnt..

We arrived at our accomodation called 'Siri Guesthouse' The guy who runs the place is named Jim and he is probably the nicest most helpful guy we have met since being away! It ended up Angelique got our accomodation and we went across the road to Jim's mates accomodation called 'Baan Nam Sai Guesthouse' which is lovely and the people are just as nice. The room has air con, two single beds which is fine, and a hot shower!! ah how we love the creature comforts lol all for only 500baht per night ($16.60 aus)

Tonight we are off to the 'Night Bazaar Markets' with Angelique so I better get ready... Will have some good photos of the room and the markets later... Tomorrow we are off on a 3 hour mini bus ride to a place called 'Pai' pronounced 'Bye'.. looks amazing & we have booked some beautiful bungalows to stay in...

Well goodnight & Love to you all

Nell and RBoss. xx

 

Comments

1

wish i could meet a french frend

wish i could go on a 24hr train ride

wish i could eat some of that beautiful food

wish i could

wish

  grand dad Apr 2, 2011 6:04 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.