Existing Member?

Six months abroad!

Chumphon- day 1 & 2

THAILAND | Wednesday, 30 March 2011 | Views [523]

 

We got up at 5:30am to go to the Humphalong Station in Bangkok to head to Chumphon. Our plan was to get to Chumphon, spend one night there, then catch the bus to the ferry, and take the ferry to Ko Tao: a little island off the coast near Ko Panang and Ko Samui. We bought our tickets through the government system and they worked out to be 450baht each! Around $15 AUS. (that is a 6 hour trip, In 2nd class with an air-con seat!)

For the first time we had been away I had the dodgiest stomach and was really sick with bad diarrhoea! I couldn't believe it, it came on the worst day too when I had to sit on a train for 6 hours!! BANGKOK BELLY! --lucky I had my trusty pharmacy kit and took some gastro stop! We got on the train and made friends with a couple who were from Aberdeen!!! (which is near where Ross is from in Scotland) who were getting off at a place called Hua Hin, which is about a three hour trip, they were lovely, gave us a DVD and we shared a bottle of wine and a Singha beer with them hahahha (at like 11am!)

The train ride was great the hours flew past and the seats were really comfortable and reclined all the way back! (Lucky there was no one behind us! Ahhaha) The toilets were interesting.... and I obviously went a lot...A little advice...... never walk across train tracks in Thailand.. The toilets are proper toilets to sit on but they flush straight onto the tracks! Hahahha

When we arrived in Chumphon it was pissing with rain. We spoke to a few people and were told that the boat wasn't running to Ko Tao (which we were meant to be getting on the next day) because of the rain, massive swells and floods that had taken out even some resorts on the island!!!! we had no accommodation booked, we looked in our guide book and it recommended some places so we headed straight for Sri Chumphon 250baht per night (under $10 AUS).

It is an old mental hospital with dark long corridors and the room is decent in size but has a foul bathroom (I have to wear thongs in the shower, I slept under nothing as the blanket stunk, the towels are holey, the walls have boogers on them I swear they are boogers!, the shower is mouldy.... you get the picture) Anyways, Ross says we have to make up for the money we lost on the accommodation we had booked on the island, that we cant get too.....Hopefully we can get some money back!!!!

On the bright side we found a cool little place that has Dim Sum that is really cheap. We had 18 steamed plates and a drink each and it was 240baht!!!!!!!!!!!! ($8 AUS) it was amazing and is located across from KFC in the mall on the street down from Fame restaurant.

Next morning we went searching for some breakfast, we used the guide book with no luck. Everywhere the book suggested for breakfast they only did coffee, no food........... I still cant bring myself to have rice for breakfast........... so I had my first little teary since we have been away. I hate it here. Its rainy, we are staying in a bad hotel and cant get to Ko Tao! We made the decision to go to Chiang Mai. Its about a 18 hour train ride from here but at least we aren't stuck here and after looking at the Bureau of Meterology the rain isn't going to stop for a while.

We have 6 weeks left in Thailand- so 2-3 weeks Chiang Mai and surrounds and then come back down to the islands when hopefully they have better weather!!!!

How life changes while on the road......... You really have to play it by ear. No plans are set in stone and I need to start realising how amazing this trip is and not dwell on creature comforts I'm missing. Guess I just have never done anything like this before. Ross keeps telling me its good for the soul hahhaha. We are very lucky, I know that..... gosh we could be stuck on the flooding island that's running out of food!!!!

Well Over and out from me. Nell and Ross xoxoxoxo

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.