Existing Member?

Six months abroad!

Bangkok- day 5

THAILAND | Sunday, 20 March 2011 | Views [568] | Comments [1]

 

We went to the Chatuchak Markets this morning which are a weekend only market that is the largest market in the world! It is far out of town so we caught a taxi- We have decided the best advice we could anyone would be to steer clear of the tuk tuks! They are a rip off for example: The trip to Chatuchak cost us 90Baht in a taxi (meter on) and when we asked how much to go back in a tuk tuk he would not budge from the price of 150baht!

The markets we amazing though so easy to get lost! Hahaha Ross found some Lacoste polo shirts 3 for 450baht and I found a really nice maxi tie dye dress for 200baht! We found that the younger Thais did not want to haggle at all from the prices they had on the items so it was hard to know if you were getting a good deal (we just presumed we did!)

At the markets they had incredible furniture, one of pieces that you would definitely come over and fill a shipping container if you were wanting to furnish your home; at good prices too!

They also had a section of puppies to buy: every breed of dog you could imagine! From poodles to pugs (Ross especially loved the pugs cause they looked like Ruby!) You wont find any pictures in the gallery because it cost 50baht if they caught you trying to take a quick snap- I guess maybe they would get done by animal cruelty or something if they saw how many they had in cages!

It got quite hot during the middle of the day (35degrees at least) and in the markets it was worst so we went across the road to the 'food market' which was like a huge open farmers market where you could buy seafood, meat, veggies, fruit and spices. We sat and had some lunch and then made our way back to the hotel for a swim and an afternoon kip.

At around 8pm we walked for about 4kms to the Siam Museum where they had a free Thai/French concert! It was so cool, the music was rock and was pretty much all sung in Thai with the occasional English spoken song which I loved (eg. Killing in the name of etc. hahhaha)

We have been trying to get copies of the Bangkok 101 magazine, its a mag that tells you all upcoming events and bars, restaurants that have just opened- no luck as yet though and no one can tell us where to get one...

Anyways love to you all, hope your all well, if you want to send us an email that we can respond to my email is chanelle_rolls@live.com.au

<3 Nell and Ross

xoxo gossip girl

Comments

1

Hi Ross and Nell,
I've just finished reading your latest adventures-you are a great writer,Nell. Just wish we could experience some of it with you.
We are very aware our time is running out here-but know it's not long til we see you both in the UK. Caroline is having a great time-we've been ticking off the list of visits. Off to Susan's bay for a night tomorrow and do Eaglehawk neck. We have been very lucky with the weather-a shower forecast today but that's the first since Caroline's been here. Will write again soon. Have fun you both deserve it!
Lots of love Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Jess Brodie Mar 21, 2011 10:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.