Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 41: Moving On Up

KENYA | Thursday, 28 March 2013 | Views [282]

For the first time today I worked with students above Class 5. From now until I leave, I will be taking Class 8 English, Class 6 English, and Class 5 Science, as well as my usual combination of Classes 1 – 3. At first, I was very worried about working with Class 8. Not only are they the oldest students in the school, but their ages range from 14 to 19, making some of them nearly as old as I am. However, I surprised myself by how much I loved working with them. They are all so smart and skilled at English, so communication was not nearly as much as a problem as it is prone to be in the primary classes. They were also much more compliant and motivated to learn than students of the same age group in the states. Perhaps it is because their future in education is uncertain, and so they appreciate it more. I was so happy that I loved working with them; it made me feel much better about getting certified to teach grades 7 through 12 back home.

I have definitely grown as a teacher since being here. I have gotten more creative and more assured in leading classes. Although my coming here was about utilizing a skill that I already possess, it is great to see how much this experience has raised my confidence and made me work outside the box in order to progress in a field which I hope to enter.

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.