Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 15: Arrival in Rongai

KENYA | Saturday, 2 March 2013 | Views [306]

Day 15: Rongai

This morning I moved out to my new placement in Rongai. It is a smaller “city” about 45 minutes outside of Nairobi. I was under the impression that it was more of a rural area than it turned out to be, but it’s alright. Rongai is much quieter than Nairobi, and where we are staying is far enough away from the metropolitan area that all you can hear at night is the crickets, a big change from the volunteer house.

In Rongai, I am staying with a host family consisting of a woman named Grace and her 4 year old daughter Kelly. They are both absolutely fantastic! Kelly is the sweetest little girl and just loves having all of the volunteers here playing with her. Grace is pretty young, and has been so welcoming and helpful, and just has the most generous spirit. Their home is also gorgeous. When I first arrived at the volunteer house, I was told that it didn’t get any better. However, Grace’s home is so cozy, very large by Kenyan standards, and equipped with running water, electricity, and even cable.Despite how wonderful this placement is shaping up to be, I was very disappointed that I had to leave today. I was planning on moving out here on Friday, and therefore being able to spend 2 more days at Damside. However, due to a miscommunication with a volunteer who was supposed to come into Nairobi today, I ended up here today. I just feel guilty, because I was unable to work with the kids this week, and won’t be back at Damside until the final week before I leave, as Kenyan schools go on break the first week in April.

With me out in Rongai is a girl who I just went on safari with. Her name is Kelsey, and, crazily, she is from New York as well, and graduated from Brockport last year! We have been having so much fun together, and as we are staying for the same amount of time, it’s great that we have been placed together!

Due to the impending elections, the school at the orphanage will be closed for a week starting tomorrow. Many of the students will return home for the break, but those living at the orphanage and having no relatives to go home with will stay.  Tomorrow, therefore, I will be able to go to the orphanage and check it out for the first time, which will be fantastic. There is also a school for children with disabilities in the area, so if they are not off on break yet I may go there as well. I’m here for a month, and I’m excited to settle in and get to work

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.