Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Days 46 through 54: 3/30 – 4/6: Mombasa!

KENYA | Wednesday, 24 April 2013 | Views [296]

Mombasa was incredible! The hostel that I stayed in was so beautiful, and since most of us stayed for the week we were a pretty solid group. Because of this, we all got to be like a family. Diani Beach was beautiful. The water was such a light, clear blue and the sand was completely white. It was the softest sand that I have ever walked on! There weren’t really any waves, which was nice in the sense that you could just bob mindlessly in the water, but it also meant that “water activities” weren’t exactly an option. However, the beach boys kept things interesting. They walk up and down the beach selling things, offering to take tourists out on their fishing boats, and sometimes even proposing. Kelsey and I had this one guy that did not leave us alone for nearly 45 minutes. He had proposed to Kelsey the day before and would not take no for an answer. Although it was funny, in retrospect it was also pretty creepy. The worst was people offering us massages – both of us shot down that option as soon as it was brought up!

The hostel was all about relaxation. Between the pool, the bar, and the food, most people didn’t really have a need to go anywhere else. It was also so hot! I would wake up sweating and not stop until I went to bed. It was nice for a few days, but then I started to get restless. In typical Caroline fashion, I made a list of all of the things that I wanted to see and do in Mombasa. Unfortunately, Diani is like an hour away from the city, and a rather expensive ride. However, we did some great things at the hostel. One night we went to Shimba Hills to see the sunset. The view was absolutely incredible: we were on a rocky outcropping overlooking the nature reserve. Of course, the clouds completely blocked the sunset, but it was still so peaceful to sit there with everyone and gaze out at the amazing view.

Later in the week, we went to the Wasini Marine Park to go snorkeling. Getting up at 7 was rough for everyone, but it was totally worth it! We took a boat out into the bay and were provided with masks, snorkels, and fins. The water was so clear, and we snorkeled right over a section of coral reef. The fish were amazing: it was like swimming in an aquarium there were so many different and colorful species! We even saw an octopus! The only downsides were that minute jellyfish kept stinging us, and that my mouthpiece kept filling with water so I couldn’t stay down nearly as long as I wanted. One of the guys from the hostel very kindly switched mouthpieces with me, though, and it worked out much better. It was smaller than my first one, so I think that that helped.

After snorkeling, we went to a beachside restaurant for lunch. Those that ordered seafood were given a giant crab as an appetizer and then a full fish for their meal – it was so much food! The view from the restaurant was absolutely incredible, as it was up on a bluff overlooking the ocean. After lunch, we visited the nearby Wasini village. It was very much as I would imagine a typical quiet, sleepy, beachside village, with a large central tree in the center for village meetings.  Outside of the village, there were standing coral structures left behind from the ocean, towering over us. The kids, and the boys, used them as a jungle gym, which was so cool to see. Lastly, we visited the slave caves. Here, African (Swahili) slaves were held by Arab traders until the ships arrived to take them away. Remnants of old chains were even visible in the walls. While there was not much left to see and the tour was very short, I really appreciated being able to take an opportunity to explore some of the history of the coast, of which I know very little.

On our second to last day, Kelsey and I finally ventured into Mombasa. The number one thing on my list of things to see was Fort Jesus, a coral fort erected by the Portuguese in the 17th century and then taken by Arabs. It is one of the last standing large-scale coral structures, as well as an UNESCO World Heritage site. In looking for it, we first went to the old law courts. Although the building has been renovated for modern use, there were still things to see from when the building was constructed. On top of that, the architecture itself was simply beautiful. When we finally got to Fort Jesus, I was stunned at how large it was. The inside was also beautiful, with preserved cannons lining a grassy knoll. The fort is set up like a human figure, complete with a head, 2 arms, and 2 legs. Each “appendage” serves as a watch tower. Impromptu guides give tours within the site, making their living off of tips from visitors. Although I at first did not want anyone to take me around, the man that ended up doing so was utterly fantastic. He was so knowledgeable, and really took the time to answer my questions and take lots of pictures. He really knew his stuff too, which I was rather surprised about. The fort exceeded my expectations, and I was so happy to have finally gone!

All in all, it was an amazing week. Although I was sad to leave, it was time to get back to school. The people that I met at South Coast were all so incredible, and I look forward to staying in touch with all of them. The people I was with made this tropical vacation so much more incredible, and I hope that I can see all of them again!

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.