Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 44: Games

KENYA | Wednesday, 24 April 2013 | Views [264]

Today was unofficially the first day of Easter break. Due to this, classes in the morning were even shoddier than normal. Kels and I sort of taught for about an hour, but we had no idea what was going on and whether we were even supposed to be teaching or not. Around 10:30, we went with the school to games. However, these games were completely different from those that I experienced at Damside. These games were held in a big field, and it was essentially a track meet. Every school in the area got together to watch select students in the upper classes compete in running events. It was so cool that Kels and I got to experience it, because it was definitely a bit of a shock; there must have been around 2,000 students there. We also got to cheer on some of our boys in class 8. It was a little frightening, because kids were collapsing at the finish line and we kept thinking that someone was dead. The girls in particular, who didn’t wear shorts to run like the boys did, looked awful by the end of their races. Adults and other students would pick them up and carry them around and give them glucose. Here, straight glucose is eaten in a white powdered form and it is a treat for children, or, in this case, a reward for the competitors.

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.