Existing Member?

The Road Less Traveled By Serving to systematically document my travels on my journey to self-disovery. In reality, thoughts, musing, and experiences as I attempt to travel to as many worldly destinations as possible.

Day 43: Rainstorms and Kind Strangers

KENYA | Wednesday, 24 April 2013 | Views [508]

After teaching today, Kelsey and I went to Bomas. I needed to check in with St. Lawrence about scheduling for classes and make reservations for Mombasa and she needed to upload a bunch of pictures. We had a very nice afternoon for ourselves. I was really worried, as I was unaware that there were forms that I had to fill out in order to register for classes and to regain access to my transcript, necessary for re-application for my on-campus job. Although it took a significant amount of time, I got it all done. Now I just wait to see if I am re-admitted.

We stayed at Java Café until much later than we should have, leaving around 9 pm. To our dismay, it was pouring. It is the rainy season after all. After standing around for about 10 minutes we finally managed to catch a matatu. Unbeknownst to us, however, the matatus stop running at 10 pm, so at just about that time our matatu driver had everyone get off. We were still about a 45 minute walk from home, it was raining, we had our laptops, and we had both just pulled out money for Mombasa so had thousands of shillings on us. Needless to say, it was not the ideal situation.

A car pulled up behind us as we were walking and stopped. A man got out and offered us a ride. At a loss, Kelsey and I both accepted after checking that the doors could be opened from the inside. We both sat really awkwardly in the back. The man essentially called us idiots for walking alone at night, being both female and white, and kept remarking on how far our home was from where he had picked us up. He took us all of the way home and then insisted on seeing the security guard before leaving us. He was so kind, he wouldn’t even accept money for gas for the inconvenience. He merely stated that he hoped that someone would do the same for him in a foreign country. Just another amazing person that we have met in Kenya!

About cfleisch10


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.