Existing Member?

How Did I Get Here?

Day 1: Houston Freezes Over And I Travel Through Time

CANADA | Thursday, 6 February 2014 | Views [322]

Sunset view of the mountains from Vancouver airport.

Sunset view of the mountains from Vancouver airport.

The day started off successfully. I arrived at the airport on time, 5:40 am. Too early. Check-in and security were quick and easy. A slight delay on the boarding call worried me, but the plane was nearly empty so we were all packed in tight ready to go, on time, at 7:10 am for the 4 hour flight to Calgary. 

At that moment, I felt so much tension to take-off, to be on my way. 

 And instead we sat at the gate for an hour and a half while Air Canada mechanics ironically struggled and failed to get the de-icing machine to work. It was positively absurd that the plane had ice on it to begin with, since this is Houston. But it became comical when a company with Canada in its name couldn't fix the machine. Basically, we had to wait for mother nature to thaw us out. We pulled away from the gate at 8:40.

I only had an hour between my flights, so after 45 minutes, my worry surrendered into the resigned feeling that I would miss my connection and I was now at the mercy of the universe, or at least the airport system. In a way this was a relief. I could settle into the rhythm of traveling. Stop worrying. Stop trying to plan everything and just go with the flow. 

Upon my arrival in Calgary, I had a lively Air Canada agent who rebooked me on a flight to Vancouver and then a 15-hour flight to Sydney and finally a jump over to Auckland. And he gave me a voucher for lunch and told me to request a voucher for dinner Vancouver (because my flight to Sydney doesn't leave until 11:30 pm). Such a pleasant guy. Typically Canadian I think.

Which brings me to the final dity of the day. I leave Vancouver 11:30 pm on Feb 6 and I arrive Sydney 10:40 am Feb 8. I completely skip Feb 7. Or should I  say what i do experience of it will be 'up in the air'.

It seems weird to consciously register that a whole calendar day will be completely skipped over. But of course, time is relative so it's not like I actually lose a day of my life. But how would you properly say that? I lose a recorded day of my life?

Anyway, a mind numbingly long day of waiting and strange events I would not have foreseen in my wildest plans. 

 

Until Saturday...

 

 

 

About cfitchey

Ephesus Turkey

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.